Amp hum is killing me.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Squidfinger, Jun 7, 2004.

1. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I got my new GK 1001RB head a few days ago. I love the amp but it hums like crazy if I'm not touching a metal part of the bass or head. I only have 2 prong outlets at my house. All my other amps have hummed in the same manner but it was low enough that I could ignore it. The GK's hum is LOUD and it's killing me. It's almost completely silent when I'm touching it, but if I take a finger of the strings for just a second (happens alot when pick playing) the hum will mess up my groove.

What can I do??? :help: I tried taping a piece of speaker wire to the head and putting the other end in a glass of water with pennies in it. It didn't help.

The only option I can think of right now is changing my technique so that atleast one finger always stays on the strings. I really really really really really really really don't want to do that. :(
  2. try a surge proteceter/power strip. if that doesnt work, then sorry pal, but the only solution i found for my little squier 15 that did that, was to rip s**t appart inside it and smash the speacker through with a hammer :smug:
  3. Your power outlet isn't grounded. I got the same thing here. It's annoying, but you rarely ever play open strings so should be fine.

Also, I read something the other day about balancing: seems that you have to finetune the volume control on your bass to the one on the amp. Apparently, part of the humming is caused by too much/lack of sufficient input volume.
  4. ubersam

Oct 12, 2000
    get a 3 to 1 ac adapter, like the one in the attached pic. See the tab at the bottom? Attach a length of wire (preferably no less than 14ga) securely to the tab. Attach the other end of the wire to any exposed metal pipe that you know goes down into the ground. Make sure that there is good electrical connection between the tab, wire, & pipe. This should give you sufficient grounding. Better yet, drive a 10 foot copper rod into the ground, leaving only about 6 inches exposed above ground - attach the other end of the wire there. Or just look for the grounding rod somewhere near the power line drop to your house, usually near the electric power meter. The glass of water with pennies wouldn't really help any.
  5. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Or you can put the screw that holds the outlet plate through the tab, and secure it that way.
  6. That'll work if the outlet box is actually grounded. Some places with older wiring are not grounded.
    If not, he still won't be grounded.
    Had the same problem with another bass a couple of months ago. Grounded the amp, hum disappeared.

7. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA

Thanks Ubersam. I talked to somebody and they said basically the same thing. I just really don't feel like crawling underneath my house to attach it to a pipe.
  8. I have the same problem with my rig. I thought it was always my crap old bass, but it sometimes hums even on my newer Guitar and my guitarist's Les Paul Custom. Our house isn't earted very well, it's pushing 80 years old, the wiring is 40years+. According to my dad the earth/ground wires are all connected to the mains water pipes in the road, which may be the source of the problem.

Would poor wiring inside a guitar lead to a hum?