Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp ID

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sevenfingerdhob, Jan 20, 2005.

1. sevenfingerdhob

sevenfingerdhob

Nov 16, 2004
    Hey,

Can i ask you guys a favor? I was just loaned an amp tonight for a show im doing tommorow... The problem is the owner has no clue wthat that ohm rating is... and if i want to run it with my 8 ohm 15' too, itll need to be 8 ohm... (My GK 1001 can only handle 4)... The problem is all i have is video camera... not a digital camera so the pics are in video form... I hope you guys will take the time to load the file so you can help me out... Thanks alot.

Its an ampeg... he says a 4x10.. but cant get the grill off to determine, it looks bigger than a 4x10 based on other 4x10s ive seen, but maybe ampegs run larger. Its a combo that has the head removed and the only connection to the speakers is a quarter inch speaker jack... No back pannel info or anything.

Thanks alot again...

Link to pics:

http://sevenfingerdhobo.tripod.com/Untitled_0001.wmv

edit: gggrr... give me a minute to fix the link...

second edit: copy and paste the link and it shouldnt be a problem.

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Your GK can handle anything ABOVE 4 ohms. Whether the cab is 4 or 8 ohms it won't matter, the GK will drive it fine.

3. But he wants to run it with his other 8 ohm 15, so it needs to be 8 ohm....

Use an ohmeter to measure the DC resistance, an 8 ohm speaker will measure a little less than 8 ohms (around 6 something) a 4 ohm speaker cab will measure around 3 DC resistance.