Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

amp identification?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by KSDbass, Nov 5, 2005.

1. KSDbass

KSDbass

Mar 25, 2005
    atlanta
    I was at GC looking at ampeg's (yes, I know I should get some kind of an award for doing such generic stuff) and the weirdest thing ive ever seen caught my eye. it was a full stack, but it had an insane amount of 6 inch speaker in both cabs I remember it being somebody's signature rig, and being around 4000 bucks, and it might have involved something about MOSFET.
    thanks for the help

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Sounds like a Phil Jones bass rig.

3. Yep, sounds like Phil Jones to me, too. I'm thinking about getting his briefcase amp.
    When you said Ampeg I thought about this weird "865" cab of theirs I had for a while. It had eight 6.5" speakers and a piezo tweeter. I think they also made a 465 as well. Since I sold it I haven't seen another one. I also used to have a Henry 8x8. I should have never sold it. :crying:

4. Just on that note, ampeg seem to have made a few odd speaker setups that appear then dissapear quickly, like the 9x10, ive only ever seen one of them

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

4k, bunch of tiny speakers, that's a Phil Jones. At least I'm not aware of anybody else with that combo.

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

4k, bunch of tiny speakers, that's a Phil Jones. At least I'm not aware of anybody else with that combo.

What did it sound like? I don't think I could resist not firing something like that up. Like a 48 valve 12 cylinder Jag or something. Vroom Vroom.

7. KSDbass

KSDbass

Mar 25, 2005
    atlanta
    it actually sounded pretty nice. it obviously had extremely good mids, but it didn't growl, even with the fretless warwick I was using. It may not normally sound good, it was just a different sound from the SVT410HE I'd been playing through. If I just had an extra 4k lying around, I probably would've come back a few days later and bought the rig.

8. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    They do sound good. I know a guy who had one for a while. They've got a tight low end with an almost subliminal sub-bass sound underneath.

9. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

What kind of bottom did it have?

I've had a back of my mind curiosity about those since I first say them. Jones also makes just a cab with that array of 6's. I always wondered what the frequency response was for it and what it looked like internally. If all the speakers were identical, what the parameters were, how they're wired, crossovers overs, etc. It's different.

10. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Well guess that answers that.

Hmm. Was it Onkyo tone? Like powered subwoofer surround sound systems? You know that 20Hz airy burrr that lays a subtle background bass tone like a ground fog with the other focused frquencies rising up out of it.

11. luknfur, you've been to the website, yes?
    He has numbers and curves for the speakers. Anybody who hasn't been there point here. And BTW, he uses 5" speakers, not 6".

Man his new flamed maple briefcases are lookin' pretty good!

Who else has one of his briefcase amps?

mohawk: yeah I remember seeing Chris Wood with a 910 a lot. I wasn't sure if it was a custom piece or if it was an Ampeg. The grill was always off and it was louder than all holy hell.

12. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Well...I'm not so up on home audio, so I don't really have the reference point.

It is a very subtle effect, and I think one might feel like you're missing some of the traditional low-low end range (say in the 40-80hz range), but I would think that you're probably right in thinking its in the 20Hz range. Which would make sense because you feel it more than hearing it.

I will say that this player got rid of the rig (combo version of head + the additional cab) pretty quickly because of the precieved lack of traditional low end...

I believe those drivers are ceramic coned too.

13. I think that was supposed to be a joke.

14. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Actually no. They peaked more of curiosity than an interest - if that makes any sense.

But, I'm in search of Onkyo tone so guess it's time to develop an interest.

15. Sorry, I thought you were joking when you wrote this! :smug:
    I wouldn't normally consider that a good thing for bass guitar. I did have that issue with the subwoofer in my 5.1 home theater setup. I just set my low-pass filter lower and that fixed it.

What do you mean, exactly? What is "Onkyo tone"?

16. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Understand, my humor doesn't usually hit it's mark either. Maybe it's just me on both ends.

Probably not a very good verbal description but that's about as close as I can come in short order I guess. Not a constant, distorted, rich, full, thundering or rap car audio type tone but a subtle thin accent to low frequencies that is ultra low yet when it's absent it's obvious it's missing.

Not as blatant a variation as when you cut the sub out of the surround system altogether. Maybe more like the pitch you get when you test/set subwoofer volume level relative to the other speakers - the low rumble wind blowing like sound of the sub not the hiss of the other speakers. When you stick your face in those subs you really don't hear much at all or any more than when you're 15 feet away -at least mine I don't. I find the tone really appealing myself. Kind of like low end harmonics is reverse - extending down instead of up. Or that cheap piezo quality top end but thrown on the bottom - worthless as a sound by itself but appealing as an accent tone.

Anyway, that sound combined with the rest of the frequency spectrum is what I call Onkyo tone cause my Onkyo surround system is what beat it into my head. Basically a movie theater sound I guess.

I'd guess maybe those recent Bose Bass systems put out such a tone. Never heard one of those either. I assume it would take some sort of triggered system to get it cause a synth may go that low but a bass isn't going to.

I looked at the graphs of the Phil Jones cabs and doesn't look like there would be fall out at 40Hz-80Hz but a graph is not an ear. To me sub 40Hz is nice but expendable, 40 to probably 60 definetly desireable but arguably debateable (most acoustic problems from those frequencies at any rate), but above 60Hz is non-negotiable. To have a rig with 20Hz-40Hz output and a consistently problematic hole from 40Hz-80Hz to me wouldn't take long to decide to move on down the road either - even if it cost 4k. Not a mistake you'd want to make but some pieces can take months to get a good feel for and some a year or more to really learn all the nuances and capabilities.

17. Thanks for the description and I agree that it takes a while to truly know a piece of gear.