Amp impedance

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bellows, Feb 9, 2005.

1. Bellows

Feb 9, 2005
    I have an EBS 650 amp that runs down to 2 ohms. With it I have two Neo 112 cabs each rated at 8 ohms. I'm therefore runing the amp at 4 ohms and I want to add another speaker. Can anyone tell me whether I can just add another 8 ohm EBS 112 cab or not without risk of damage? I have got conflicting advice so far so any technical advice would be brilliant!
  2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Yes, you can. Three 8 ohm speakers is 2.67 ohms, and if your amp is stable down to 2 ohms, you will be fine.

And kudo's to you for using the proper term "impedance" instead of the bastardized term "ohmage" that many tend to use around here!
  3. Bellows

Feb 9, 2005
    Thanks for that. Will the amp runn each of the three 8 ohm cabs at the same power even tho' two of the cabs will be linked together?
  4. Yep!
  5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yep indeed.
    to make things clearer..........
    3 8 ohm cabs run in parallel result in a 2.67 load.
    the speaker jacks in the amp are wired in parallel, and so are the jacks in your cabs. mayeb a purist electicial whiz could show that the cabs might get very small differences in power, (a few watts?), but you or i would never know.
  6. Bellows

Feb 9, 2005
    Thanks again for the info.
    Now I have to decide whether to get another EBS 112 NEO cab or something else that's light!