Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp in my townhouse ... man its loud

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Black 'n Tan, Feb 26, 2005.

1. I live in a townhouse. My amp is in the lower level, which has a walk-out basement with sliding glass doors. My son is down there right now playing my bass and I am on the middle floor typing this. He's not really playing that loud or agressively but my rear end is getting a massage from the sound vibrations travelling upstairs. Amazing.

Now I'm afraid that my neighbors are going to raise holy hell with me as I'm learning how to play. Short of major renovations, are there any tips you can offer to somehow deflect the deep sounds???

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Headphones.

3. Kindness

Kindness

Oct 1, 2003
    Chicago
    I typically play unplugged in my house. However, I feel as though I have played enough to know how my unamplified tone sounds when the volume is up (string noise, how heavy or light a touch with my right hand affects the tone, how the various pickups and tone knobs affect the sound, etc.). I also play a few times a week in a full band setting outside of the house where I get to make sure my amplified tone isn't getting sloppy.

If you are just learning (aren't we all just learning?) I think it helps to hear yourself amplified and I wouldn't recommend what I'm doing.

Using headphones is a nearly perfect idea, but I flat out don't like wearing them and with a young baby in the house I'd rather be able to hear what's going on a round me in case he starts to cry. Another potetial solution is keeping the amp at "speaking volume." You can also raise the amp off the floor using a chair or similar item to break the coupling between the amp and the house's strucutre. You may find the walls and floor shake less if the amp doesn't transmit its vibrations directly to the floor.

Good luck.

4. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    +1

Hormones in the Headphones baby!

5. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    +1

Or you could try using one of those Auralex Gramma Pads under your speaker cabinet. It might help, but I don't know for sure.

I've used one under my cab at home before, and it seemed to keep things nearby from vibrating.