1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Amp input jacks?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sarnz, Apr 12, 2009.

  1. sarnz


    Oct 6, 2008
    Hi everyone, I have a Hartke B60 and both of the input jacks (passive and active) are royally f'd. Stripped on the outside, make the worst noise ever if the cord moves at all, etc.

    I was wondering if anyone knows what types of input jacks would fit. I'm not sure of how many pins they are, but is there a website that has a selection so that I could see? Or what do you think this kind of repair would cost at a local shop?

    The amp looks like this:

  2. RickenBoogie


    Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    It's only 2 wires, and virtually any 1/4" female input would work. Otoh, if you're not skilled with electronic repairs, it won't cost much to have it done professionally. Certainly less than 50 bucks, anyway.
  3. Unknown if the are PCB mounted?
  4. Amen-Ra


    Mar 21, 2004
    I have the same model and had the same issue. I just took the line out input ( may not be an option for you, if you use it) and used it. Soldering gun to heat up and remove the plugs, and some new solder to re-apply. Worked out fine. Like someone else mentioned you could probably have it done pretty cheap if you don't have the equipement.
  5. Don't EVER use a soldering gun on a PCB. It's a sure way to strip the traces off the board!

  6. If the stripped out jack is attached to a PCB, you really have no other choice. Other than to replace the entire board, of course. And if the board is no longer available, you either: give the ol' soldering iron your best shot, or: pitch the amp.

    I had a similar situation on a Carvin R600, plastic input jacks were stripped. Unsoldered, then took almost new jacks from another Carvin amp & soldered them in. Works fine...

    As far as acquiring new jacks, try this:

  7. sarnz


    Oct 6, 2008
    Thanks for the replies everyone.

    Yes, the jacks are attached to a board. I had tried at one point to take them out but I don't think my soldering iron got hot enough. Anyways I stopped there because I didn't want to melt the stupid thing.

    I guess I will take it to the shop. If they melt the board maybe they can buy me a new amp ;)

    The input jack looks just like this:


    but obviously not a Fender
  8. johnk_10

    johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

    Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
  9. brianmharrison


    Oct 11, 2007
    I have a b30 that is doing the same thing
  10. Of course you do. If you are going to work on an amp you need the proper tools to do so. Would you work on a car with only a pair of slip joint pliers to loosen nuts. If you are going to do anything the cost of doing that should include the price of the proper tools required to perform the task successfully. A good temperature controlled soldering iron is indispensable to any electronic work.

  11. MStrianese


    Jul 26, 2008
    New York
  12. Bob Lee (QSC)

    Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

    Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio

    We've seen way too many circuit boards ruined by repair attempts with soldering guns instead of proper soldering irons.

    In general, a soldering gun will tend to cost you many times more than its original cost, but a good soldering iron can save you money.
  13. Rick Auricchio

    Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

    And there's also some technique and care required to safely desolder components attached to a double-sided board.
  14. sarnz


    Oct 6, 2008
    well good thing that i keep reading your responses because you've scared me enough to not do it myself! i'll bring the whole board to the shop in a box so that they know i know what i need and won't charge me for disassembling the amp, (6 screws) and replacing god knows what. 2 input jacks, removed and soldered. boom, done!
  15. Rick Auricchio

    Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

    Excellent idea, to save some shop time. I presume they can bench-test the unit outside of the cabinet. They may not even bother testing, but just in case they want to...

    As far as learning to solder/desolder, you could practice with some junk electronics. Much of today's stuff is built with tiny surface-mount components, which require even more specialized tools and techniques. Almost all computer equipment uses SMC (surface-mounted components). But there are exceptions, especially in older hard drive cases.

    If you can tear apart something reasonably old, it will have conventional components on standard PC boards. There are no worries about causing damage as you learn.

  16. My bad...gun> <iron. I thought the guy was saying not to heat the connection to un-solder. How else would you get the old jack to let go of the PCB? In my situation, I did try a gun to try to try to de-solder my jacks; found out pretty quickly that it wouldn't heat up sufficiently to liquify the existing solder, so I stopped, luckily did no harm. A friend had a higher heat iron which did the deed. The amp with the replaced jacks works great after the surgery; I was playing through it earlier this evening.

    Yes, the proper soldering iron is vital...

Share This Page