1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amp Input Messed Up?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by perk45, Feb 19, 2008.

1. perk45

perk45

Feb 2, 2008
    austin, tx
    Hey guys, I have a Roland Cube 30 amp that I've had since Christmas and it has worked fine until today. I was playing earlier and took a break, turning it off but leaving the cord in the input. Later I plugged the other end of the cord into my bass and turned on the amp to play again, but got nothing. I thought it was weird and tried plugging the cord into the input of my tuner, and the tuner was receiving the signal, so I knew my bass was ok. Then I tried plugging the bass into the auxillary input, and the amp started playing after that, although at a lower volume and without any EQ. So it appears the problem is with the input. Does anyone have any idea what I should do? I was planning on buying a new amp anyway, because with only 30 watts, the guitarist was drowning me out while we were jamming in his garage, so this might make up my mind.

2. musicmedic

musicmedic

Mar 24, 2007
    Take it to the shop. It may just be a bad solder on that particular jack. Easy cheap fix.

3. I'd try plugging/unplugging several times just in case it's just some crud mucking up the works. That said, the fact that it sounds like the eq isn't being applied to the signal I can't help but wonder if there isn't something more serious going on. If so that's pretty unusual for a Roland product.

4. perk45

perk45

Feb 2, 2008
    austin, tx
    Well, I'm not sure that it's important that the EQ isn't affecting the signal, because this is only the case when the guitar is plugged into the auxilary input. Earlier, when the amp was working and I had my guitar plugged into the normal input I use, the EQ was affecting the signal. I think the problem is with the input jack. Does anyone have any advice for how I should go about re-soldering the jack myself? Or is it a fairly simple process that I can just Google?

5. If you've had it since Christmas it is still under warranty, right?

Bad things happen when people bring solder close to things that are under warranty. Baaaaaaad Things.:rollno::scowl:

6. rhs1856

rhs1856

Jan 15, 2008
    Waltham, MA
    Most small combo amps have all the jacks, pots, & switches soldered onto a PC board behind the control panel. and the input jacks break very easily - typically the thin spring-steel tab that connects to the tip of your instrument cable just snaps off. I've replaced quite a few on small Fenders & Peaveys for a local music school and its students. You can get replacement jacks from eBay or other online music parts stores for $5. If you just want to get it working again quickly - and don't ordinarily use the aux input - you can desolder both jacks and swap 'em. Don't overheat anything.

7. Oops, missed the part about the aux input

8. Hi, perk45.

+100. Don't void Your warranty, unless You're absolutely sure that it's no use to you anyway.

Regards
    Sam

9. rhs1856

rhs1856

Jan 15, 2008
    Waltham, MA
    Ah, but there was no mention that it was new; I've had a Pentabuzz since last month (yay!)... but it's almost 14 years old. The tabs in those jacks break when an instrument cable is left plugged in and hanging for extended periods; I did it myself to a little Fender practice amp 'bout 5 years ago, after I'd had it for a few years.

10. perk45

perk45

Feb 2, 2008
    austin, tx
    Haha rhs, nice try but the amp is indeed new. It looks like I'm going to go ahead and send it in to have it repaired. I didn't even think to consider the warranty and I'm just nervous that I'm going to open up the amp and screw it up. Thanks for all the help guys!

11. rhs1856

rhs1856

Jan 15, 2008
    Waltham, MA
    If it's new then you should definitely take advantage of the warranty. In fact, I'd take it back to your dealer and swap it rather than sending it to a Factory Authorized Service Center...