1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

AMP INPUT

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fruitysquirts, Apr 26, 2009.

1. So if any of you've seen my posting around here you might get an idea of what bass sound im going for. If not then i guess tune in! If you want
    well my yamaha bass head went out and i got my tax money in so im looking for a new head....a good head. Im in talks with a friend to purchase an ampeg svt-cl BUT he sounds like he doesn't want to get rid of it just yet. I don't want to push anything so im most likely going to pass. He has a reason to not sell it now and i don't want to take it. Im looking for a nice tube amp that can get loud. I have a fender bxr spectrum. I really want that vintage sound. I run through a turbo rat, geb 7, and soon to be boss oc-2. so i like my sound with a lot of balls.
    any thought? I've been a huge fan of fender heads and especially those good ol' v4b's but i don't think it will push enough at all.
    any questions please ask im sure im not to the t on what needs to be said.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Keep looking for a used SVT, that's what I would do. I love all the Ampeg tube amps, but the SVT is king if you want loud clean tube volume.

3. Fred19137

Fred19137

Jan 23, 2009
    active musician
    listen to jimmy

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I had one of those spectrum cabs, 2x10 + an 18. Massive. An SVT will do it justice. Hold out, there's plenty on the market.

5. this might be a stupid question but when you say SVT are you refering to the original line or refering to the svt-cl..or another model. sorry.

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Either/or. SVT CL, SVT VR, SVT2, or 2Pro, vintage SVT, etc. Any 300 watt all tube Ampeg head. All different, all very similar.

7. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Allso check out a Mesa Boogie Bass 400+

Nice all Tube head. You can find them at really good deals IMO.

I believe John Turner here at TB was thinking of getting rid of his. He is in Atl.

8. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

With that signal chain, does the choice of amplifier really matter?

Perhaps your idea of "vintage sound" is 1996, not 1966 or '76?

9. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    +1
    :p:rollno::eyebrow::smug::meh::rolleyes::p

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    No, it actually matters. Distortion pedals sound like crap through tweeters, and though I've run them semi-successfully with SS amps before, I greatly prefer them with tube amps.

But I don't know if I'd call an SVT rig "vintage." With all the time passing since it was invented, and the fact that the SVT has been the most-used bass amp since its invention till today, you can't exactly call it vintage.

11. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL

12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Aw, I love octave pedals. I'm not interested in getting an octave below my low E, I just like two octave bass lines. Agreed about the EQ, though. And the vintage SVT. But you can get really good deals on used CL's, and I certainly wouldn't kick one out of bed for eating crackers.

13. whats the talk on the ampeg-cl vs svt-vr?

14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    The talk is VR #1, CL a close #2. Due to the CL having separate gain and master volume, it's a little less "open" sounding than the VR, and the "changing tone with volume" thing that the vintage and VR SVT's do isn't nearly as dramatic on the CL. But they're both excellent heads and they're both SVT through and through. Now if only a decent company owned Ampeg instead of those LOUD idiots, we'd be in business!