1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Amp Insurance

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ADbassman, Jan 30, 2005.

  1. I heard of couple people around here getting amp or equipment insurance, and with my equipment quickly reaching 2 or 3 thousand dollars worth of stuff, I thought it might be a good thing to invest in. Where do you get amp insurance, is it through a regular insurance company? How much does it generally cost?
  2. Should be covered with your home owners ins...
  3. Spector_Ray


    Aug 8, 2004
    Ditto that, but you may want to check into supplemental insurance of some sort specifically for your equipment. In 1990, I had about $15,000 worth of equipment stolen that wasn't covered by my measley insurance I had at the time. Little did I know that for a few bucks more, they would've covered it. Of course that was then and this is now and I have waaaaaaaaayyy better coverage now. It never hurts to ask.
  4. tommytoughnuts


    Jan 26, 2005
    yea if your home owners doesnt cover it that sucks
  5. 57pbass

    57pbass Supporting Member

    Instruments and amps where not covered under my homeowners policy. I had to provide the insurance company with an appraisal of all equipment to be insured along with receipts. I was able to then get a rider on my homeowners policy. I used them for a few years and it became too expensive.
    I switched to Clarion Musical Instrument Insurance and have been using them for several years. (1 800 vivaldi) I do think they have a minimim policy about 25K but you might want to give them a call....
  6. Well, since I don't own a home, I guess it wouldn't be covered under my home owners insurance. Is there any other way to get some?
  7. 57pbass

    57pbass Supporting Member

    Clarion Musical Instrument Insurance (1 800 vivaldi)
    I do think they have a minimim policy about 25K but you might want to give them a call....
  8. IvanMike

    IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

    Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    even if you just have renter's insurance you can get a musical instrument rider. you simply need to state the total value of the items. It's not all that expensive, i think i might have been paying under 100 bucks a year for 6 k worth of coverage. if anything does happen you'll be covered over your standard deductable (usually 500 bucks)

    now what i would be interested in would be insurance that would cover my bass and amp in any location (i.e., in my car, at a club, etc.) riders on homeowners and renters insurance only cover for theft, fire damage, etc, in your home itself.
  9. 57pbass

    57pbass Supporting Member

    Ivan Mike...
    Check out Clarions site..
    They cover just musical instruments world wide.. in clubs..hotels .etc...
  10. Check out MusicProInsurance.com
  11. I checked this out, seems to be a nice plan they have going. For my purposes $5000 coverage would probably do it unless I really break the bank on buying a new bass sometime in the figure, which I guess (or hope) I can upgrade the policy to meet the new total value. For $50 premiums, this can't be too bad. Although, is that $50 per year, 6 months, or a month?

    Thanks for your help everybody.
  12. Mike, If you have a "rider" or what is known as "Scheduled Personal Property" The coverage is to the first dollar with no deductible(that's why you needed to show values), and it covers replacement cost, "All Perils" which means anything except you damaging it on porpose. It also covers the SPP any where in the world. For instance: If you were playing on a yacht (NON PROFESSIONALLY) of course, and your bass fell into the sea for some reason, it would be covered.

    Bob, X-Ins Agent