1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amp is loud (no seriously)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gilvatron, Jan 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Gilvatron

Gilvatron

Jul 2, 2016
    Hello!

Ran into a snag and now I'm turning to you guys. I recently purchasef my first amppeg Svt 350 with a Bse 410 hlf Cab. I love it, brought it home today and had a good time. When I went to go shut it off I noticed the Amp itself was humming. Not going to lie it was plugged into a power strip. So I plugged it directly into the wall and same sound. Its not loud and it doesnt increase in volume when I play. Just never heard it before. I dont know if I should br alarmed or where I go from here. Any help would be apreciated.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    All amps will hum a little. That's just basic background noise. The thing you have to determine is whether that's normal or not and then proceed from there. I've used the 350 before and I wouldn't say it hums out of the ordinary. If it seems out of the ordinary, it could be a power problem in your house like a dimmer switch or fluorescent lights or things like that.

3. Gilvatron

Gilvatron

Jul 2, 2016
    If I had to guess. Id say its the fan. Will I have any issues in the future?

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Probably. When was the last time that 350 was made? Like 15 years ago? You're probably about due for something down the line. But if it's the fan, you might be able to find a quieter fan. Just get one with the same values as the old one.

basscapes and Stumbo like this.
  5. That amp may need to have the PSU filter caps checked. Weak caps could be starting to let mains hum in.

My trusty 1992 SWR ST-800 power amp has been getting increasingly "hummy" lately (over the last year or so). I figure that after 25+ years of gigging and recording, a little resto-work is in store (even for a solid state design)...

It the 350 sounds like it might be due.