Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp issues...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bass_drum, Feb 28, 2005.

1. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Hey guys I play through a Hartke B60 amp, and I recently bought myself a microphone with a special cable to it can plug into regular amps and such. Now the amp has two inputs, an active and a passive, so I thought "hey if I can run two basses through my bass teachers amp, why not a mic and a bass through mine??" so I plug them in...and I get no sound...I make sure I have my active bass in the active and my mic in the passive, check theyre all good, but It still didnt work. So I then unplugged the mic and the amp worked perfectly with just the bass, I take out the bass and put in the mic, amp works perfectly with just mic, try putting them both in again, NOTHING.

Why is that? Is there anything I can do to fix that???

sumone plz :help:

Thanks,

~JB~

2. Special_Ed

Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004
    :eyebrow:

3. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    what is it that you dont understand?

4. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Here Ill try to mkae more sence of that...

OK so my bass has to inputs (active,passive), why is it that when I plug my mic and my bass into the amp no sound comes out?

What can I do to fix it, is there a way to rewire it so that when both inputs are occupied it still works???

There sorry for not making sence in my other post...

~JB~

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Perhaps your amp can do only one input at a time. Do you have the same kind of amp as your teacher? Some amps are made for more than one input and some are not.

6. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Do you know what kind of mic you have? Is it supposed to be phantom powered? What is the "special cable?"

7. Is the special cable your talking about an XLR to 1/4 inch cable?

8. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Yeah thats what I think it is (XLR to 1/4 inch???) sorry Im not really knowledgeable when it comes to names and such lol

So maby It isnt made to be able to play with both inputs...My teachers is a cheap baddog and mine is a 400 dollar hartke...i wouldve thought mine couldve done more then his. oh well.

So is there a way to rewire the amp or sumthing so that both inputs can be used ro do I need to get an amp :confused:

Thanks,
    ~JB~

9. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    No, it's not a matter of having to rewire the amp. Do you know what kind of mic you have and whether it requires phantom power?

10. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Sorry to seem like a total Newb but what is Phantom Power? :meh:

And the Mic is a Dixon...just a cheaper one but it des the trick

I dont think it is the mic tho when i tried playing with two basses in the amp it didnt work either :(

11. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I don't think that your mic needs phantom power if you got it to work on its own. Most likely something is preventing your amp from running to inputs at the same time. Have you tried two instruments into this amp in the past (ie: 2 basses, 1 bass + 1 key, 1 bass + 1 guitar, etc.)?

If there is an effect return, try inserting one of the sends through the effects return. Won't sound pretty, but then again bass cabs aren't noted for their ability to belt out pretty vocals.

12. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Yes I have Tried to basses...as I mentioned in my previous post, and it didnt work.

Also I believe the only inputs are Active Passive and Headphones, it also has somthing called "Line out"

13. You use either a passive or active instrument! Only one jack can be used at one time, not both.......I wouldn't mess with it

14. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Yeah I know I shouldnt be messing with it but :p ...

I think if my bass teachers amp can run ana ctive and a passive and it still sounds ok through his cheap amp I should be able to aswell!!!

lol