1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

amp killing speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kitcar765, Apr 26, 2006.

1. say if i was running a 300watt amp through a 500watt speaker, could the amp blow the speaker at all? or would the speaker be able to take evrything thats thrown at it from the amp?

2. The amp can blow the speaker if you go crazy with the volume knob. The amp is rated to produce 300 watts of "clean" power, which means it has a fairly low amount of distortion while making 300 watts. The amp can produce significantly more power than it is rated for, however. If the amp is pushed into clipping, I think it could potentially produce twice its rated power. Maybe more, I'm not really an expert here.

The best thing for you to do is to listen to your speakers to make sure there are no unhappy sounds coming from them. It shouldn't be too hard to keep your speakers intact as long as you realize that your amp does have the potential to damage them.