Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

amp knobs.. =D

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stupidnick, Jun 11, 2002.

1. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    whats your setup used?
    like what are you controls set to and what type of sound you put out of it

also im kinda unfamilier.. ive always had my eq in the middle but my bass and highs all the way up.. and my gain up and my volume all the way down..
    i was just wondering whats a good eq setting for blues music?

2. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    usually, turning your bass and treble all the way up can be bad for your speakers. Try leaving everything flat (in the middle,) and listening to how it sounds. If it sounds too boomy, turn down the bass a little bit. If it sounds too twangy or has a lot of harsh fretnoise or string buzz, turn down the treble (or if there's a tweeter control knob on the back of your speaker cab, turn that down.) If it sounds dull, toneless, honky or nasal, turn the midrange down. If it's too quiet after all that, turn the volume up :)
    It's usually better to avoid turning the knobs up past halfway, since that adds noise and can make your bass sound distorted.

This is just using my particular amps in the particular rooms I play in, with my own bass and speakers, so the results might be totally different from the ones you get when you do this with your amp. But I like to set the midrange at about 8 o clock (way low,) and boost the bass and treble a little bit (bass at 1 o clock, and treble at 2 or 3 o clock. Okay, so here I am disregarding my own advice :rolleyes: )

Basically, just do what sounds best for you but remember that it sounds different from up close than it does way out in the audience. And if your speaker distorts or looks like it's about to jump out of the cabinet, you've got something turned up too high.

3. I keep the gain at 12, drive at 2, bass at 2, mid at 10, treble at 12, hi-low balance at 12, volume to taste. The 9 band EQ is in a large curvy M shape. Only the very middle band is cut a bit. The others are all boost.

Sounds kinda bad solo, but in a band it works good.

(note: all settings are in o'clocks)

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Check out some of the owner's manuals on the SWR site. They often have suggested settings (the Bass 350 manual does, among others). It might not directly relate to your amp but it provides some good "ballpark" tone settings.

Extreme tone settings usually sound bad. You'll find that it really helps to cut through the mix if you slightly boost the 200 Hz range. The smiley face eq sounds good at home but gets lost (and wastes amplifier power) in a band.

My take is that a traditional blues setting would be with normal lows, strong low mids (that 200 Hz range again) and none too many highs. Dedicated blues players often use flatwound strings to keep the highs in check too.

Try some of this out, see how you like it and season to taste.

Have fun!!!!

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    There's no one answer because different amps have different EQ circuits.

I hate to say this, but you need to twist the knobs and LISTEN. Believe me you will figure it out soon enough.

Twist one knob at a time, run it through the full range and play all over the neck of your bass to get a feel for what that EQ knob does, then on to the next knob.

For blues, a typical sound would be a good amount of midrnage, not a lot of highs. On any bass amp the amount of lows needs to be adjusted to taste, it changes from room to room anyway.