Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp limiter light infrequently coming on

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bazzanderson, May 12, 2005.

1. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Amp and cab question. Ok…I think I know the answer but I want to run it by you TBers who may know more about bass amp and cabs or pre, power and cabs. I’m using a Behringer BX3000T. I have to run the volume almost at 12pm to be able to be heard in my band setting. I am plenty loud at this setting and I do cut through but my limit indicator light comes on infrequently while I’m playing. I know when the limiter light comes on that’s an indication that I’m sending a dirty signal to my speakers (causing possible damage). So…my question is do I add another cab (or get new cabs) or do I get a more powerful amp? I don’t know what my cab is rated wattage wise right now but I do know it can handle a lot (old 18” deep Peavey 2X15” with black widows at 4ohms). I’m thinking the solution is another more powerful head (or power amp). Please advise.
    Thanks,
    -Bazz-

2. Generally I don't think the light coming on infrequently is going to cause any problems. As long as the light is not constantly on it shouldn't cause any concern.

3. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Thanks, Jenderfazz. Yeah...it's definitely not on all the time...just infrequent "blips" while I'm playing.
    -Bazz-

4. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    You need to turn it up until the light comes on frequently. On the fast songs it should come on at least ten times. And on the slow ballads two times, once on the last time you go into the bridge and again right at the end of the song. ;)

5. It's not a problem. It's just the limiter doing its job, protecting your speakers.

6. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Thanks for the replies/reassurance.
    -Bazz-

7. You're fine. The limiter is doing its job when there's an occasional flicker of the light. A constant light means you would need to add power / cabs.