Amp loudness...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jazzcatb17, Sep 10, 2003.

1. jazzcatb17

Dec 27, 2002
    Louisville, Ky
    Just a quick question that i've been wondering for a while, how can 8-10's or 4-10's and 1-15 compete with a 8-12 guitar stack? The aspeaker area in a 8-12 is massive compared to what most bass players use, so how come a SVT can outpeform a Marshall Stack?

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    In my world an 810 doesn't outperform it. It kind of runs neck and neck. I had a band for 7 years and the guitarist used 2 412s. To compete I had an old Acoustic 301 bin and 2 Bag End 15s. It was powered by an old Carvin Probass 500. That setup worked well. Very well. I also at some point swapped out the Acoustic for a vintage SVT and used that one with Bag Ends. That worked really well also. My two bits here...Love to all.
  3. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I my experience you need twice as many cabs and at least 4 times the watts as your guitarist. It's the laws of physics at work.

8x12's with I'm guessing a 100w marshall? Do me a favour. Before you even start thinking about more gear, get a set of good musicians ear plugs first. I'm surprised he's not drowning out the drums. Hopefully he knows how to use the volume knob.
  4. Two reasons:

One, an SVT cab is more efficient than the Marshall in low mids and lows. Most guitar players go for that "scooped" sound with the mids dialed out and their cabs just can't compete; two, an SVT is conservatively rated at 300 watts while the power tubes and supplies in most Marshalls rarely really let them hit 100 watts; most run a VERY dirty 85-90 while an overdriven SVT is pushing nearly 400 watts at the same level of distortion.

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA