amp maintenance

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by arcellus, Feb 29, 2004.

1. arcellus

Feb 28, 2004
    Portland, OR
    anyone got some suggestions for regular poweramp cleaning/maintenance?
  2. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    Dust is the enemy of all electronics. It never hurts to open up you amp periodically and hit with a blast from one of those pressurized aerosol cans. Check power cord for any problems. Store in a dry place.
  3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Also make sure you clean the fan(s) (and filter if it has one). Don't blow the dust off the fan into the amp, open it up and blow out.
  4. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    canned air can make your voice sound deeper. helium obviously does the opposite. Don't blame me if you pass out doing this and get brain damage.
  5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    If you have a small attachment for your vacuum, then use that to go over the fan grill once a month or so.

Here is something I found out. Do it more often if you live near railroad tracks. We used to live about a quarter mile from a railroad crossing, and were always having prolems with our computer fan. Turns out there is graphite in the air from the railroad tracks, and trains going by. So, you may want to clean your amp more often if you live near a train station, or railroad tracks.

6. natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Interesting. I live near railroad tracks and the fan on my video card just died for no apparent reason.
  7. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Probably graphite monsters chewing on the cables. Acutally, the graphite could be shorting out the fan itself.
  8. arcellus

Feb 28, 2004
    Portland, OR
    wonder what all that graphite is doing to people's lungs??

thanks for the suggestions btw.