Amp making buzzing noise. Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Buhgingi, Feb 14, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Buhgingi

Buhgingi

Feb 13, 2019
    So I have a Fender Rumble 15 and whenever I have my bass plugged in, it makes a buzzing noise and the only way to stop it is if I tilt my bass a certain way.

I have used different cables and seems to do it with all of them. Is this a technical problem or is it normal?

ObsessiveArcher likes this.
  2. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    What kind of bass?

Does the buzzing go away if you turn down the volume knob on your bass?

3. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio!

Jul 3, 2001
    Santa Ana, Calif.
    Former Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    From your description, the buzz is what your bass is picking up, not from the amp. Either position your bass so it doesn't pick up the noise in its pickups or use a different bass. Or find the source of the electromagnetic field that gets into the pickups and turn it off, if possible. A very common source of buzz is flourescent lighting.

4. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    These days, cheap (unapproved or falsely EMC certified) "off-shore" LED lamps and their noisy LED drivers are another common source of noise too.

5. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    Huh. Which is probably why I get noise out of my very quiet basses in my living room and not in my bedroom.

Tilting your bass to make the noise go away is a tell-tale sign of some interference in the room. Lemme guess, single coils??

6. Buhgingi

Buhgingi

Feb 13, 2019
    It's a Fender Squire P. Bass. And yes it does

7. There ya go...…………….

It's your bass, not your amp.

ObsessiveArcher and coves like this.
  8. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Sounds like the buzzing noise is coming from your bass, not your amp.

I suggest trying to find what is causing the electrical interference. Perhaps a fluorescent light, or a dimmer switch?

Another thing to keep in mind is that, sometimes, the buzzing noise gets covered up by the rest of the band and is not audible in the mix. Lots of famous hit recordings have a little bit of background noise. :)

If the noise is really unbearable, then it might be worth paying a tech to check the wiring.

9. rodak

rodak

Jun 14, 2005
    Try turning of lights in the room, one at a time, until you find the offender (or in nearby other rooms). If it's an LED or fluorescent, you may be able to just replace the bulb with a different type.

You could try turning off other devices as well, not just lights. No telling where buzzing might come from.

10. diegom

diegom Supporting Member

Dang it!!! I just replaced all the lightbulbs in the house for LEDs...
    Time to record some tests...

Diego

11. fourstringburn

fourstringburn Supporting Member

Jun 30, 2009
    New Mexico
    Off shore cheap switching power supplies including wall warts are known for trash and hash.

Use the heavier regulated wall warts and power supplies.

Wall dimmers can create noise too.

12. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

Is your bass only a P bass? Is the pickup a single coil (50s style) or a split-coil? Does the hum stop when you touch any metal/strings/bridge on the bass?

13. Ostie

Ostie

Aug 1, 2018
    Mid MI
    Huh. I was gonna guess Jazz. I thought P stands for Perfection:)

Bill Whitehurst likes this.
  14. Suspect your lighting sources.

15. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    There are a lot of possible sources of noise. Just recently I troubleshot with a customer and it turned out to be a wi-fi over power system adapter injecting noise on the power line that then migrates into the amp.

ObsessiveArcher, Al Kraft and Engle like this.
  16. bfields

bfields

Apr 9, 2015
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Shielding might help. It's a reasonable do-it-yourself project if you have the time. Or you can take it to someone--I can't remember how much it cost last time I did that. Uh, maybe about 2 or 3 times the cost of a setup?

17. $75-100?

18. One way to check to see if the noise is caused by something at home is to play somewhere else.
    Does that make it go away or change it in some way?

Bob Lee (QSC) likes this.
  19. I was chasing the same issue you are experiencing. Shielding was added and also verified proper grounding of the bass electronics. The issue improved slightly, but still very present. The issue would come and go, depending on which and what part of a building I played in. I got a new isolated power supply for my pedal board, then even bypassed the board with same issue. I tried the Ebtech Hum X on my amp. I tried a noise gate, but it was less than ideal. You could still hear the noise/hum when I played. Since you can't always control or fix your environment, I ended up getting the 60-cycle hum debugger. This has worked very well for me to silence the noise/hum.

Electro-Harmonix

20. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

A shielding job shouldn't cost more than an hour or two of bench time, it really depends on the shop. That being said, we don't know if shielding will actually help here. The OP has not given us enough information. It could just be a loose ground wire.

bfields likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021