Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp Making Clicking Sound

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 6-3-2, Jun 7, 2005.

1. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    I was playing yesterday and my amp started making this clicking, echo, type of sound. It was kind of distorted, oscillating even, like if a fan was hitting something, click click click. Safe to say that's freaking me out. Any clue what this is? It's an all tube amp, late 60s if that helps at all. Gretsch Superbass to be exact, one of the Valco made amps.

2. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Nothing?

3. Could be a fan in it causing EM interferance

But it could be a gone pre tube

4. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Tube amp... Bad tubes?

5. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Yes I think it might be a pre-amp tube, but ehh it sounded great today, so we'll see.

6. If thats the case, were you by any chance using the amp in a different place or using a different plug socket? That could possibly be what the problem was

7. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    small mischevious gnomes perfectly harmless. feed them, it should go away.

8. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    when I aproach my mobile from my amp (ashdown) it makes a little clicking sound.. maybe this could be it..

9. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    The clicking COULD be the first stages of motorboating.

That's an oscillation caused by the filter capacitors (electrolytic type) going bad. They eventually dry out and quit working, since they depend on a liquid electrolyte to work.

The age of the amp is sufficient to make that reasonably likely, although it might not be the actual cause of your problem.

10. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Man. I had the EXACT same problem yesterday. Turns out the bass we were using was Active, and the battery we were using has been dead for 2 years. Not even the teacher knew it was active. Check the battery in your bass, even if it doesn't have one, make sure. The battery was 5 years old. Needless to say, the amp isn't many any clicking anymore.

I don't think it's your amp if it's the same thing. Cause we plugged through the board, and bam. Same thing. Try out someone else's amp if you're concerned about it. But i'll bet my money it's a battery.

11. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Loose input hole?

12. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    If it's not the Bass, I'd lean towards the Filter caps or tubes being the culprit.

13. I'm not so great on the technical front but an old amp of mine gave me that same problem about two weeks before it blew! Get it checked man

14. OiBass

OiBass

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus,OH
    What? No Fieldy jokes yet? ;)

15. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    I've got a passive bass, so it can't be the battery. It could possibly be the capacitors, seeing as it sounded great the other day, with fantastic tube overdrive and etc, so pre-amp tubes are probably not it. I guess I'll keep playing and if it happens again I'll call an amp shop.