Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp making strange sound

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Feb 6, 2002.

1. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Well, this has to do with my old man's amp. He's just starting up with a new band after being on hiatus. He has an old Sunn Beta combo. (Still in awesome condition considering it's older than I am) But when you play it with the Drive set at 12 'o Clock it distorts a little bit. It really doesn't sound like it's clipping. (Though I'm not 100% sure) The best way I could describe the sound is, it sort of has that clicking sound you get when you touch your strings onto the magnets of your pickup. It almost sounds like something's loose in the amp. (He pulled the grill off and tightened the speaker, but that didn't do anything) He never played it in any real loud bands, (The Bassman 10 he had before was a different story though :D ) so I don't think he would have damaged the head or speaker by clipping. Any advice is appreciated.

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Which bass does is he using???

I don't think that little Fender amp would have displayed much of his sound.

Some basses have the characteristic, "click and clack", like many Stingrays and Carvins, IME.

Can you say if it has a metallic "click and clack"???

If so, the only solutions I found are;

- adjust your technique
    - adjust your action
    - get rid of the bass

If the sound is definitely recognizable as an amp problem, I bow out.

3. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    He plays a Rickenbacker 4001, but it's definatley not a problem with the bass, I tried it with my bass, and it's obviously something to do with the amp. It's more prevalent on a stronger attack on the strings, so maybe he is clipping a bit, but it's barley cranked to half of it's potential when it does it.

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

You're right, Liquid - a Ricky shouldn't have that problem (unless the setup is just that bad or the neck is warped).

Try the diagnostic approach - is the Ricky the only bass that produces the problems you are hearing through that amp???

If so, you eliminate one suspect.

5. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I tried it with my bass, and the problem still persist. Boosting the mids a little bit seems to help, though nethier me or my dad really like the sounds of the mids on the amp.

6. Unless you're certain it's in the amp section itself, give this a try. It might be possible that the rubber edges on the speaker(s) have dried out over time, and partially pulled away from the speaker frame. This happened to a set of stereo speakers of mine.
    You did say the amp was old, didn't you? A tech in a stereo store told me this is a common occurrence in older woofers whether they're played loudly or not. He said it's just an effect of time. Just an idea.

Mike J.

7. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Thanks alot for the tips guys.

8. When I thought "something was loose in my amp" it turned out to be a warped or slightly blown voice coil. It took me a long time to figure out what it was... I posted all over for advice about the EXACT same problem you are experiencing.

--Voice Coil!