1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amp model simulator pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by static0verdrive, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Hi guys,

I tried a few searches and I didn't really find much except for a cool-looking cab sim pedal, which looks awesome for DI applications: Bass Cabinet simulator - 21 May 2014 - CORRECT SOUND Custom
    ... but I'm not sure that is quite what I'm looking for.

Some background: I have a great Traynor amp micro head, the SB500H, and the less-than portable TC1510 cab to go with it (2x10" + 1x15" in one cab, roughly 85lbs). I'll keep that cab for now for bigger venues, but I'm considering a Crazy8 (under 20 lbs!!) as my portable practice cab to use with the SB500H. If I do this, I won't really need my 40lbs 15W 8" Line6 practice amp anymore, but the shame is that the amp models on it sound killer. I love most of them depending on the type of music I'm playing; in fact, just switching the simulated amp model is all I feel I ever really need to do to adjust my tone. I just hit the Marshall Super Bass for classic rock, B-15 for R&B or acoustic stuff, or SVT for modern stuff / hard rock or metal and I'm ready to go.

TL;DR: I might give up my practice amp with built-in simulated amp models for a more portable Crazy8 cab to use with my 500W micro head.

Do you know of any amp sim pedals? I'm not sure the cabinet sim pedal I linked above is the same thing. I did find this Zoom MS-60B which has 6 amp models, but only the SVT that I mimic currently. Are there other pedals out there I can compare that Zoom to?

Thanks in advance!

2. johnbegone

johnbegone Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Zoom B3 has a bunch more models and might be better suited for you. You could track down an older Line 6 Bass Pod as another option.

3. Yes the Line 6 Bass pod was my first choice because I figured it should have the exact models I've been used to and loving. None available near me but I may need to check out eBay or something...

4. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

Jan 15, 2011
    All the Tech 21 Character series pedals are amp sims. Same with the Joyo line of Tech 21 knockoffs. I am currently using an American and it is a sim of a Fender amp. It sounds really good. I will be getting my hands on a Rusty Box soon though and it will be knocking the American off my board. If you love your Traynor you should look into the Rusty Box! It also has a balanced out for going direct.

5. johnbegone

johnbegone Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Chicago, IL
  6. That's a helluva good price for everything you get in that Bass floor Pod.

7. It really is. It's just too big for me though; my pedal board is full as it is. I'm hoping for something that will fit on top of the micro amp head, for times I don't want/need all the pedals. Top contenders now are that Zoom MS-60B and the Line 6 Bass Pod (or XT, but not the "Live" one).

8. jimfist

jimfist "Cling tenaciously to my buttocks!" Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I recently picked up a floor pedal made by Atomic Amps called the "AmpliFire". It's a 3 switch pedal that is sized very close to the Zoom B3, but it is a much different animal, both in price and function. The Amplifire is more of a guitar processor with basic effects, rather than a bass processor.

What makes it very appealing to me is that it allows the user to add their own cabinet simulation "impulse response" (.wav files of the tone footprint of a speaker cabinet, but not limited to speaker cabinets - for example, acoustic instrument sound holes have been captured). I own Redwirez Big Box SVT 8x10 cabinet IRs (with all sorts of different mics and placements included). Ownhammer also has a series of bass cabinet cabinet impulses coming out soon. This brings AmpliFire into the realm of bass processors with cabinet emulated direct output to feed FOH.

The Amplifire is about 3 - 4 times the cost of a Zoom B3, and it is a quality sounding unit, though it doesn't have as many effects goodies available as the B3. AmpliFire is firmware based, so we expect to see added amps, cabinets, and other features as time goes on. Wish that were true for the Zoom stuff. It's also MIDI capable, which gives it expanded functionality when used with a small MIDI foot controller.

As for the Correct Sound cabinet simulator, it seems pretty cool. Any idea what it costs? Also, what are the cabinet simulations based on? Are they a series of complex filters that are adjustable, or are they digital impulses, or what exactly?