1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amp modeling into your amp???

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SanDiegoHarry, Mar 16, 2009.

1. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    So I've been digging deeper into this used BNX3 I picked up, and it seems a large part of the "value" of this thing is all the amp modeling trickery you can do with it... Which I suppose is pretty cool for recording, but live, into an amp that I really like?

So I was wondering - Anyone here have an amp/cab modeling processor in your signal path to your amp? It seems like a strange idea to me, but I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who does it and digs it...

2. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    I do, with my Zoom B9.1ut. Not a huge amount, but just to give a bit of colour and variation on the odd song. I'm not a great fan on bass amp modelling in a live context as I find different models change the frequency response and the way the bass fits in with the rest of the band (which will really annoy the soundman). Remember the drummer can't alter the tone of his drums very easily, and you need to lock in with him/her.

But this is where I find the Zoom shines. It doesn't accurately model every nuance and eq knob of the original amp, but instead goes for ballpark sound, with simple: gain, tone, mix and level controls. This way you can colour you tone with desired amp tone without drastically changing how you fit in the mix. I actually use the mix control to have a bit of my unaffected tone in there.

I personally bypass the amp modelling most of the time, but have a patch set up with a slightly dirty SVT for the classic rock tone, and an edgy GK tone (with a bit of judicious eq'ing) to get that mid 80's GnR/queen punchy rock tone.

So the key to making it work live it firstly not to over use it, try to stick with your amp sound most of the time, and try to carefully set up the patches so the frequency response doesn't drastically change from patch to patch.

Of course, if you're only using one amp model throughout, none of this matters one jot.

3. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    I run my bass chain into a Laney MXD120H amp head for its modeling and THEN into my Laney RB9 head. I can say that guitar amp is "true bypass" in the clean side cuz, to my ear, it does not do a thing to my signal until I use the effects side, and the modeled effects are pretty much as good (and sometimes better) most stomp boxes I've tried. Works for me.

4. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    I have amp models on my pedalboard(which is a korg 'toneworks' ax3000b) and it hasn't done any harm with my rig. and the amp model I use on my pedalboard does have a pretty cool sound when I record stuff.

5. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    uh---amp modeling vs my earlier reply about modeling available on an amp: Hah! Got that question backwards, didn't I?
    OK---I don't do or like amp modeling. "sounds like Hartke" "sounds like Ampeg" blah blah blah,--are not that good representations anyway. For those that like'em--hooray. For me-waste of time.

6. ScottB.

ScottB.

Sep 14, 2008
    Devon, UK
    I have a VT going into my Hatke, but I'm not sure wether you'd call it amp moddeling

7. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Modeling can be a great live tool, especially in cover band situations. I use a VT Bass into my GK, especially when I pull out the pick for punk/pop punk/metal. I love the sound of my GK rig, but the VT gets me closer to that classic tubey/Ampegish sound when I need it.

8. SteveD

SteveD

Feb 20, 2006
    Denver, Colorado
    I have used a Bass POD into the input of power amps with decent success. I use the active input for that. Saturday I used the POD with my Carvin BX1200 using the effects loop. I used the SVT model with the drive at 10 o'clock, plus the Danish Driver effect (low-end boost). Band members raved about the huge tone, and said "Don't lose that setting.":cool:

9. Sure, a BDDI (or sometimes a VT Bass) supercharges the front of my iamp. I've tried loads of different pedals for this, dig these two the most.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I use a VT into an SVT or B-15N, but only as an overdrive. But when I'm forced to use an amp that doesn't sound like an Ampeg, I use the VT to make it sound like one running clean.

11. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    Yup, Line6 Bass POD XT Live into a Crown K2, or into my Markbass LMII effects return.

12. SteveD

SteveD

Feb 20, 2006
    Denver, Colorado
    ----------
    Hmmm, interesting. I've always had a phobia about running any boost type things into my B-15. I'm going to investigate this VT pedal, it sounds like a winner.:cool:

13. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    You won't be disappointed.