Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp Mounted in a Rack w/ Only Front Rails - What About Support at the Back of Rack?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gfab333, Apr 18, 2003.

1. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I just mounted a 19 lb EA iAMP 800 into a SKB Roto X Rack. I like to travel light, and I don't need an expensive heavy-duty case, which would weigh a lot more.

This 2-space rack only has front rails. Even with the light weight of the iAMP, it seems to me that those aluminum front rails may get stressed over time when your lugging the rack around at odd angles and what not.

Does anyone have recommendations on placing some kind of support for the weight at the rear? Foam, etc. I'm not interested in installing rear rails or brackets, etc. just looking for an easy quick fix.

Naturally, I'll need to make sure that what ever I do, nothing should block the amp's ventilation grills/vents.:confused:

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i have a large sheet of stryofoam in my SKB rack.

works like a charm, and weighs next to nothing. heat hasnt been an issue, and it doesnt seem to melt anything perse, nor have i smelled anything funky back there. hopefully, i'm not inhaling any invisible fumes! :eek:

3. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    I think you're ok with it...I have the six space model and have my amp/effects/etc mounted with no problems of supporting the weight. the only thing I've added is a little fan to circulate air.:cool:

4. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    I did the styrofoam thing after Joker suggested it to me and it works like a charm! Thanks again Joker!

5. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    The correct rail ears should be spec'd to support the weight of the amp. My Hartke 5000 is mounted securely from the front and is solid as a rock. :cool:

6. Ive got my 45lb mesa suspended from the middle 2 spaces (I have the power cond on top and leave a space inthe bottom for the FtSw.)of my SKB and have for 5 yrs. Never a single issue. still as solid as a fixed mounting.

7. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    I've been toting my SWR Power 750 in an SKB Roll-X 5U with 1U Raxxess mesh vent panels above and below the amp for a few months now. In fact, I just got back from rehearsal (a 130 mile round trip).

I haven't experienced any problems with deformation of the rack despite the 32lbs. of weight hanging only off of the front rails (of course, there are no rear rails in a Roll-X...)

8. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Thanks for the comments guys.

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    np, bro! glad i could help. :bassist:

10. PBFACTOR

PBFACTOR Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2001
    Boise, ID
    i have an aguilar db359 and made rear rack mounts. i travel alot and wanted to be sure it didn't bounce around alot.