Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

amp n00b looking for help..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by retitled, Oct 24, 2005.

1. retitled

retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    im in the market for a new combo amp with a nice bit of power in it..

my price range is around $200..

im sure i can get the guys at guitar center to give me a discount on something just over that.. so i was searching on the guitarcenter cite and i found one that looks decent to me for my price range and i would like some input on it

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=bass/search/detail/base_pid/480675/

right now its just for band practice but i also want to gig with it... mic-ed of coarse..

2. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    That would probably be a fine amp for starting out. I think 1x15 combos are more all-purpose, but that would probably set you back a little more.

Make sure that whatever you chose has the right connectivity (line out) so you can plug directly into a PA. Bass amps arent usually mic'ed the way guitars and drums are.

3. retitled

retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
  4. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Personally I wouldn't suggest either of those combo's, and I doubt GC would carry the 2 anyways.

I suggest going on ebay and looking for a used peavey tnt 115.

5. retitled

retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    that makes me happy in the pants :)

6. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Yep, in that price range your best bet is a used peavey combo. They are pretty much bullet proof, so used is kosher. Check any local pawn/used music stores too. They might be a tad more expensive, but you won't have to pay for shipping.