1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amp needed...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basspiratejack, Jun 16, 2007.

1. Hi,
    I'm new and starting out on Bass, I've been in the music business for about 25 years now. But in the last few months I have taken up Guitar and more recently Bass. Ii have a Jazz bass and a little practice amp that I got here in Korea. Basically a copy of a Fender J-Bass. Anyway, I'm wondering what kind of Amp I should look for. As far as practicing in the room that's fine, but I'm curious what would be a good amp to get down the road. I've looked around and I've played on a 120watter. I'm into Jazz and funk, but when I get to the level of gigging I don't really know what to have.

Can anyone recommed a good decent amp that's not going to require a small loan. I'm hoping something in the 200-300 range, but just let me know some ideas and things to look for. And the same for accessories, like compressor, or things like that if I'd need them.

Phil

:bassist:

2. Well, here's my 2 cents...

If you want a good decent amp, 200-300 isn't gonna take care of you. This aint guitar, so you really can't get away with 100 watts on bass (As I'm sure you know, as you say you're in the business)

A good idea would be something like this:

http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=BRX212&CID=BRX

Basically, a big ole combo with plenty of power and a good, solid amp. I like to use a rule when looking into combos, where I would only ever get a combo if I could buy the head seperately. Not sure why, but it always makes me feel like I'm getting the best for my money when I do that. From what I've read on TB, the B800 is a GREAT amp, and this combo accentuates that great sound in the best ways. Having never used it, I can't say from experience, but just looking at it, it looks like it makes a whole lotta sense and is a great buy for the $$$.

Just a little thought to mull around if and when you decide to upgrade to a "real" amp.

Sorry for the long post!

3. Jostein

Jostein

Mar 17, 2004
    Bodø, Norway
    Around here (northern Norway) pretty much everything goes through the PA, so I only have to worry about stage sound.

My main project is an acoustic type band where we do gigs for 50-150 people. For those gigs my SWR Workingman's 10 (80W, 10" speaker) has been enough for stage sound. But we aren't very loud.

I also play in a big band and our last gig was for 600 people in a conference hall with a large stage. I brought my SWR Workingman's 15 (180W, 15" speaker). And that's the only time I've felt underpowered. But it wasn't a problem, the others got bass through the monitors and I could hear myself well. But my amp didn't fill the stage like I had wanted.

So I wished for a real rig with 2 4x10s and a 500W amp, but then again I have no roadies, so I would have had to carry it myself. And that makes me think twice about it.

4. Thanks for the info. I appreciate any help I can get.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 23, 2021