Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp needs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by McCalister999, Jun 28, 2005.

1. I'm looking into a bass amp that gigging-able, but I want to spend hopefully less than $600 U.S.
    Is this reasonable?

2. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Yes, it is reasonable. Go to www.avatarspeakers.com. One stop shopping. Pick out a head and a cabinet to your likeing. Another option would be to find a used head and buy your cabinet from Avatar. How much you get to spend on a head will determine what cabinet you can buy and vice versa.

3. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    What do you play? And what do other members of the band use? Do you have PA support?

4. Look into second hand equipment, a peavey firebass 700 + 410 cab would do nicely :)

5. no PA support at this point, I play a Fender MIM Jazz. My other band members are in the same position as I am, looking for amps. I just want to be safe and go with a whole lot of sound instead of too little, but still stay under $600.

6. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Avatar is the way to go, in that case.

Your in the pricerange of a B212 + Ashdown MAG. 300Watts through a 212 would definately be enough... even if the rest of your band got reasonably loud equipment as well. I highly recommend it. :cool:

7. Also check with Rusty at Midwest Music. He usually has some nice used amps in stock. I just talked to him. He said to swing in and he would see what he could put together for you. He wasn't sure how much power and SPL you needed.

The Avatar/Ashdown idea is pretty good as well.

8. I'm with Mohawk. Buy used Peavey gear. You're young and strong so you don't need this lightweight gear like the elderly among us. There is a lot of Peavey gear, it is relatively cheap and some of it is quite good. I live outside of a town a 1500 with the closest cities 300 miles away. You live in Cincinnati and have access to lots music stores within a couple hour drive. Shop lots. I saw an old Firebass and 2x15 cab with Black Widows go for $495 a few months ago.

9. My amp and cabinet combination was very lucky:

Mesa-Boogie Walkabout $474.00 (floor model/discontinued)
    Avatar B115 NEO $204.50 thru Ebay.

You might call around to the GC's in your area and see if they have any left. The Walkabout @ the GC on Westheimer in Houston lasted for about a month! The combination is absolutely wonderful . . . But is $80.00 over your budget . . .

Regards,
    Mark F. Sanderson