Amp newb needs help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Vox Populi, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    Well, I feel like such a n00b again, venturing into a forum that I know nothing about....

I've been playing bass now for a few years. I enjoy it alot, and within the past year I've begun jamming with my family and friends. And I've found that my wimpy little 60W Behringer just doesn't cut it anymore. I can't hear myself play! The thing is not loud enough.

So I'm looking for suggestions. I'm thinking about buying a new amp soon. One that's fairly powerful, enough to be heard in a jam atmosphere. But I don't have tons of cash to throw around. So here are my questions:

Should I get a high-power combo amp, like the new Fender Bassman? Or should I get an inexpensive cab and head (Hartke?)?

I play all sorts of styles, mostly straight up rock and roll (classic rock I mean). So I guess versitility is a good thing.

2. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    how much cash do you have to spend?
    are you willing to buy used?

if you HAVE to buy new try: yorkville xm100 (no external speaker hookup) oops this should be here: $375 new musicians friend.

if you can spend $550: yorkville xm200 (WITH external speaker hookup for future volume increase)

if you CAN buy used: yorkville xm200 $520 musicians friend

see :

as you can tell Yorkville is my general suggestion for people trying to move up from small combos, but to louder better quality stuff.

I've spent over $2,000 on my current "big rig" and I love good sound and if I needed to buy a combo in the $0 to $1000 range I would SERIOUSLY PERSONALLY be looking into yorkville products. maybe EDEN combos if I could find a 12" model used.
  3. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    He's right we need to know how much you can spend. Sad truth is to play w/ a full band, you will need 400 watts or better. 300 if it's tube. You might be able to get by w/ less, but it will be a patch job till you can get something bigger. I have a 250 watt combo I use for practice and back up. It happens to be very efficent and loud for a 250, but even w/ that your talking $650 or better, $500 used.