Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp newb needs help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Vox Populi, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    Well, I feel like such a n00b again, venturing into a forum that I know nothing about....

I've been playing bass now for a few years. I enjoy it alot, and within the past year I've begun jamming with my family and friends. And I've found that my wimpy little 60W Behringer just doesn't cut it anymore. I can't hear myself play! The thing is not loud enough.

So I'm looking for suggestions. I'm thinking about buying a new amp soon. One that's fairly powerful, enough to be heard in a jam atmosphere. But I don't have tons of cash to throw around. So here are my questions:

Should I get a high-power combo amp, like the new Fender Bassman? Or should I get an inexpensive cab and head (Hartke?)?

I play all sorts of styles, mostly straight up rock and roll (classic rock I mean). So I guess versitility is a good thing.

Thanks.

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    how much cash do you have to spend?
    are you willing to buy used?

if you HAVE to buy new try: yorkville xm100 (no external speaker hookup) oops this should be here: $375 new musicians friend.

if you can spend $550: yorkville xm200 (WITH external speaker hookup for future volume increase)

if you CAN buy used: yorkville xm200 $520 musicians friend

see : http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/navigation?q=yorkville+xm

as you can tell Yorkville is my general suggestion for people trying to move up from small combos, but to louder better quality stuff.

I've spent over $2,000 on my current "big rig" and I love good sound and if I needed to buy a combo in the $0 to $1000 range I would SERIOUSLY PERSONALLY be looking into yorkville products. maybe EDEN combos if I could find a 12" model used.

3. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    He's right we need to know how much you can spend. Sad truth is to play w/ a full band, you will need 400 watts or better. 300 if it's tube. You might be able to get by w/ less, but it will be a patch job till you can get something bigger. I have a 250 watt combo I use for practice and back up. It happens to be very efficent and loud for a 250, but even w/ that your talking $650 or better, $500 used.