Amp Noise, is this normal?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by NoGraveConcern, Feb 6, 2004.

1. Just bought a Peavey Nitrobass head and a 15 inch black widow cab. Walked out the door for $700 and felt like I got a lot of gear for the money, but here's the thing...

When I turn on the amp, hooked up to the speaker of course, there is a slight static hiss. My first though was that I needed to flip the ground switch, but there is none. Then I thought that it may be the circuit of my house's wiring that is grounded poorly, but I moved to another room that is on a different circuit and it does the same thing. It does it with or without a bass plugged into it, and at any gain level. My old PV TNT combo is absolutely quiet, so I'm wondering if there is something wrong here.

So my question is, is this...
    a) normal for Peavey heads
    b) normal for most heads in general
    c) some fluke thing and I should return the setup ASAP
  2. Here's a pic if your interested.

3. Doesn't sound right to me......especially if your old Peavey isn't doing the same thing in the same rooms.......

You might wanna discuss it with the store you got it form and take it from there!

So....I'll plug optiong c)
  4. kmacleish

Nov 19, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    What are the settings of the EQ controls, bright switch if any, etc.? If there is high end boost happening somewhere, that could be the cause. Additionally, do ANY of the controls have any effect on the hiss level?
  5. I have set the eq flat at 12:00 for now. I've tried every button and knob on the amp to try to eliminate the hiss, but none seem to make a difference. BTW, there is no horn in the cab so it's not from that. :help:

It's looks like I may be making a trip back to the shop tomorrow.
  6. kmacleish

Nov 19, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    And do I assume correctly that there is no tweeter or horn in the cabinet?