1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amp Noob needs help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pan1k, Dec 16, 2011.

1. pan1k

pan1k

Sep 16, 2011
    Las Vegas, NV
    Is it possible for us to develop an "amp spectum guide" for the popular company's / products. I think it'd be a good way for ppl to find a decent starting point when looking for that perfect amp for their style.

Example: a range from Ampeg SVT to GK RB with Aguilar TH500 in between but closer to the GK Side.

I hope I'm making sense... and this is a good idea.

2. I have to admit I have no idea what you are asking. Can you elaborate a little?

3. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Like a voicing guide?

I think KJung's posts have that covered in pretty good detail. Perhaps could consolidate some of them into some sort of list.

4. pan1k

pan1k

Sep 16, 2011
    Las Vegas, NV
    Voicing guide! wow. such a more simplified explination. KJUNG where art thy. come school a noob... or 2

5. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    It's your thread...search-copy-paste-repeat....now get to work.:D

6. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    I think it would be of limited usefulness because adjectives inevitably fall short for the task. You need to have a baseline of what you're used to and what you don't like about it. In my case, I've got an AMP BH-420 (solid state amp from the early-mid 80's) that covers it for me. I typically recommend that someone find a used G-K 800RB for their starting point. It's a good amp, good tone, decent power, good reliability. It may cover your every need, but if it doesn't you have a good baseline amp that people are familiar with. I haven't gone in to a shop and played one, but the G-K MB500 is supposed to have a similar vibe the 800RB, so that may be an option. FWIW, I've used the 800RB, but I've never owned anything by G-K. I'm recommending it because my impression is that it's a good amp and a good first step.

I appreciate KJung's videos on YouTube, but they're of limited usefulness as well. Video camera mic, a mix of cabs and heads than you'll have available and different basses than you use. On top of that, KJung likes a different tone than I do. I find Ed Friedland's reviews on YouTube more effective for my needs.

Anyway, in some ways this is a case of ready, fire, aim. Take your best shot at it, but you aren't likely to get it right the first time and your tastes will evolve over time. In my case, the AMP has served me well and I've kept it, but I found myself "needing" something else and I picked up a Genz Benz Shuttle. I mostly bought it for the portability. It's been fine, but I now find myself wanting a Streamroller. I'm a fan of tube amps, but not enough to schlep them.

The journey begins with the first step. Do your best, but sooner or later you have to take that step. Don't worry to much about it, you'll take others.

Good luck!

KO

7. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Check KJung's youtube channel, he has recordings of probably damn near everything out there. But, they all sound like Ken playing his bass, which is quite good, but can mask some of the more subtle differences. Then there's that whole thing where listening over the internet isn't the same as being in the room with the rig, but a good playback system or headphones helps a lot.

8. pan1k

pan1k

Sep 16, 2011
    Las Vegas, NV
    I do agree with you in many respects. I love KJUNGS vids but sometimes the camera mic annoys me ( still love they Kjung)

Ed is a phenomenal review / columnist but he hasn't been putting up vids lately. I too wanted a streamliner for a moment but im still torn.

9. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    That's not intended to be dismissive of Ken. I like his playing, I like his on-line presence and I appreciate the effort he puts into the videos. It's very generous of him. To be even more fair, I haven't seen very many of his videos and it's always been rushed at work and through really crappy earbuds.

But the running joke is that it always sounds like Ken playing bass. My limited experience with his videos backs that up.

KO