Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

amp not powering up. please help me out.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by notabob, Jul 24, 2005.

1. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    so, i am selling my peavey t-max amp to a friend. he has payed me $80 of the $300 he owed me and already broke it. he knows its his responsibility to get it fixed and he still owes me money but i was hoping maybe you guys could help me out. when i hit the power switch the fan turns on but none of the power or indicator lights come on or anything and the amp makes no sound. i tried hitting the reset switch, but to no avail. if the 12ax7 preamp tube was blown, would it cause these problems? i pulled the tube, but i dont know how to tell if its blown or not. if you guys could help me out at all then it would help a ton.

thanks

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    A bad tube wouldn't kill the lamps. Chances are there's an internal fuse or power supply component blown.

3. Agreed. Plus even if there was a busted tube, it still has the solid state preamp. It wouldn't just stop turning on.

4. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    alright. ill have to take it to get it checked out. he said he left the amp on for a few hours on accident and came back and it wasnt working right. something must have burned up or something...

5. :eyebrow:

I could leave any amp on for days straight and it wouldn't "burn up" ....I believe there must've been a little more to the story.

But take it to a competent tech (NOT the imbeciles at your local GC....)

6. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    yeah, i know. the guys at the GC just refer me to this other guy because i guess they figured out that they have no clue what they are doing.