1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amp not working

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by El Bajo, Jul 24, 2007.

1. El Bajo

El Bajo

Apr 12, 2006
    UK
    Got a slight problem with my amp in which its broken.

I lent it out for a month to a guy that I am no longer on speaking terms with. Unfortunatley it came back not working. I opened it up and found 2 2.5A fuses burnt out so I replace dthem with 3.1A as I though the 2.5A sounded a little low. Unfortunatley the Amp made an attractive fart sound then cut out again. The fuses look fine but I replaced them with 2 new 2.5A's just in case and now the think wont work at all.

I dont know where else in the circuit it would have blown. Has anybody got any suggestions?

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Fuses aren't the "part of the circuit" that's blown, they are the protection that keeps the curcuitry from being severely damaged when there is a problem. The fuses sacrifice themselves BEFORE the circuitry fries catastrophically.

If your fuses blow, it is a sign that there is a problem ELSEWHERE in your amp's circuitry. Don't change their value.

You didn't even give us the most basic info regarding your amp make and model. You obviously don't understand electronics to the point where there is something you can do to fix this, so get it to a qualified tech.

Oh, and stop lending your stuff out to people you can't trust.

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Take it to a repair shop.

4. El Bajo

El Bajo

Apr 12, 2006
    UK
    The company is HH Electronic, a long since deceased company.
    I know absolutley nothing about electronics but I do know to take it in to get repaired would make it a write off and I plain cant afford it anyway
    Seeing as it would be a write off I thought I'd have a go myself an perhaps learn something along the way. Evidentley not

5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Unfortunately amplifier electronics isn't the kind of thing you can poke around and learn a few things. You can get electricuted, and the odds you can figure out where the problem is without a bench full of expensive metering and diagnostic equipment is about zero.

If money is tight, consider taking it to someone who works at a TV or Radio repair place, perhaps they can take a look at it at home on the side for a small fee. I've actually done that before with a neighbor and he charged me $20 for the repair of a simple failed FET (two dollar part) that would have had a $150 bench fee if I would have taken it to the authorized repair center.