Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp-o-Rama

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Count Jodius, Nov 5, 2005.

1. Count Jodius

Count Jodius

Jul 28, 2005
    Scotland
    Hello thar! I was hoping that some of you amp-meisters might be able to help me with a predicament regarding choosing amps? I'm looking to get a (probably) 2x10 combo, and at the minute am considering the following:

Warwick CCL210
    Gallien Kruger 400RB-IV/210 or 700RB-IV/210
    Hughes & Kettner QC 421
    Laney R5
    or Nemesis NC 410 (which is a 4x10)

I've tried both the Nemsis and Laney, with the Nemesis obviously having a lot more power to it, although the Laney is clearer. Also I've tried the 1x15" version of the hughes & kettner which was very nice and raw sounding. Unfortunately, none of my local shops stock the Warwick or GKs, so I haven't been able to try these out, but have heard good thing bout all of them.

Was wondering if anyone has had any good or bad experiences with any of these, or any other recommendations?

Cheers

J

2. Count Jodius

Count Jodius

Jul 28, 2005
    Scotland
    That's WAAAYYY out of my price range unfortunately! I think £700 will be my absolute maximum price, and even then I'll probably have to not eat for a month or so! lol

3. Where abouts in scotland are you? just random curiosity :)

Does it have to be a combo? you could have much better luck with a head and cab, there are some real bargins to be had about the place, i got an ampeg SVT II for £500 earlier this year, and recently(ish)(few months ago) got a peavey 2x15 cab for £75 :D

4. unity bass

unity bass

Dec 15, 2003
    Modesto, Ca.
    How loud do you have to get?

I don't mean to complicate things but .....
    FWIW, I just replaced my 2x10 combo with a separate cab and head.
    This happens to work better for me (but of course everyone has different needs.)
    It made it easier to load my car since the stuff before barely fit.
    It also gave me a ton of buying options.

If I were buying a combo today I'd want to try one of those Aguilar AG500 with 1x12 combos.
    I've tried the head and really liked it. The combo looks sweet. Anything bigger though, like the 2x12 combo and I would prefer to separate the head and cab.

there's my 2 cents.
    Good luck with your search.

Chad

Edit: Ha! looks like I got a mohawk had the same thought!

peace

5. thedoctor

thedoctor

Jun 20, 2005
    Since you are in Europe, I doubt any of my input would be relavant. The best combos I have tried are made in Arizona or California. Probly not a dealer in your area or maybe hemisphere. The Carvin and Genz and Trace combos are a value-driven bunch of bass stage amps. All are marketed towards the American (GOD bless Canadians) market. I wonder why the Europian market has not picked up on the value and demand for these at a fair price? I think the DR combo is made in Europe. Nice combos, to be sure, but I really don't know where they are made. I shall find out shortly.

6. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
  7. Value? whats that? is that something to do with Valves? maybe they have a rounder ending (really bad joke if anyone got it)

Unity bass, thats what i was suggesting, even if he only needs a 2x10 right now, he could have a head and a 2x10 cab, and then update the cab later down the line

8. Count Jodius

Count Jodius

Jul 28, 2005
    Scotland
    Cheers for the input guys!

To be honest the main reason I'm going with a combo is for ease! I really don't know a whole lot about amps, which heads sound good with which cabs, etc. I'm sure however that I'm after something x 10", as I prefer the punch and clarity I get from them. I'm looking for something prob 180w at least, as it has to be heard over my guitarist's 150 odd watt marshall and the the PA as well (although at the min I'm DIing into the desk, good thing we have a bass bin! :p ).

I'm in Glasgow i_got_a_mohawk! Played the Dundee blues festival a few times tho! :)

9. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Is the Marshall tube? If so you will need something more than 180w.

10. Count Jodius

Count Jodius

Jul 28, 2005
    Scotland
    Yeah it's tube driven, not too sure of the model, but it's LOUD!

11. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    It's hard to compete with a 100watt tube head with jist a combo. Sorry to say but you're gonna have to dish out a bit more. I'd check out the UK brands. Laney, Trace (used), and Ashdown. They are probably your best bet.

12. Count Jodius

Count Jodius

Jul 28, 2005
    Scotland
    To be honest I'm not really too keen on Traces or Ashdown, and although I've been looking at Laney's, I've heard bad things with regard to reliability (the horn of the R5 i tried in the store was rogered!) and apparently they kinda run out of steam when pushed to louder volumes.

The Nemisis would easily do the job I think, but the major concern with that is transporting the thing as it's pretty big compared to the GK and Hughes&Kettner as they're 2x10", but just as powerful. The main factor is that I can get the Nemisis for over £125 cheaper at £525 which is a crackin deal!

Hmm, it's a tricky one!