Amp or Bass???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ZuluFunk, May 29, 2001.

1. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    I play a Warwick Thumb Bolt-on. These are know to have a distinctive "growl". It really sounds sweet when I practice at home. However, that growl turns into a "bbrrrraaapp" (nice description) when I have to play louder in band rehearsals. I'm not really pumping too much volume, just enough to get over the drummer who's not a real banger. I practice through a Hartke Kick-back 12. I don't schlepp my Ampeg with me for rehearsing.

I'm thinking the amp just can't handle it though it's only turned up about 1/3 on the master vol (I keep the volume on my bass all the way up). On the amp I cut the mids totally for the most part and the low and hi are about 1/2-way up. It's also got a parametric eq (shape control) that I have set to cut the mids too. I tried cutting back on the volume on the bass and pushing the master up a bit, but there really wasn't the tones I get at low volumes.

I was worried that it might be the bass. The only thing to do I guess is bring the Ampeg.
  2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Might be a couple of things. You might be attacking the strings more agressively when rehearsing in attempt to play louder. That'll certainly change the tone.

Also, depending on the output of the bass, you could be overdriving the amp even though it is only a third of the way up. Maybe you should try dragging along the ampeg just once. That'll give you plenty of volume and headroom to make sure you are staying within your technique and getting your tone.

3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Also the higher the volume, the more pronounced is your EQ curve. Especially with bass. A lot of the "growl" you are looking for comes from the low-mid range. IT may be that you need to re-think your EQ when driving the Hartke a little louder.