Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

amp or cab first?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SnoMan, Mar 16, 2005.

1. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Hey guys,

I'm about to unload my tuba and I'm having trouble deciding what I want to do about my rig. Well, i know what I want to do, but I can't do it all at once.

What I'm giong to end up with(in theory) is a shroeder cab(1210 most likely) Kustom Groovebass 1200 and an ampeg svp-bsp.

My problem is that I can't afford it all at once. So which route do you guys think I should take first?

-Buy the Head and preamp and then buy an avatar 2x12 and get the schroeder later

or

-but the schroeder and the bsp and run the bsp through the effects loop on my 3500(I do that now with my BP-8 preamp) and get the head(or power amp depending) later

or

-buy a real nice bass(stingray) and hope it makes what I run through now sound good

or

-something entirely different

you can hear my band's music on our link for an idea of what I'm playing I also do a lot of jazz and funk stuff on the side when I can

2. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Could you possibly afford the Kustom and Schroeder at the same time and wait on the BSP?

3. SnoMan

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    I could swing that also, but I imagined I would have more tonal options with the bsp running through the effects loop of my 3500(while it acted like a power amp). The 3500 has the power I need right now(of course I want more) it just sounds ugly....and I don't really know which portion of my rig causes that, so I'm assuming every piece is playing it's own role in the ugliness.....heh

4. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Cab first for sure. Hartke 3500 might not be the most fashionable head at the moment, but its fairly powerful, has plenty of EQ. Going to the cab you like will make a huge difference (although you don't say what cab you are running now). If you can get the cab in 4 ohms, you might not even need any more power!

5. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I'd recommend Cab --> Kustom --> BSP (if you need it)

The GrooveBass might be enough to make you happy without dropping a few hundred more $$.

6. SnoMan

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    I'm using a hartke 2x10XL it gets muddy with lows and isn't very responsive.

7. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Yea. Cab first.

8. SnoMan

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    definately going with cab first in the deal. Just wasn't sure if I'd be better off with the avatar setup and more amp options or the schroeder with one of the amps. I don't think I can really stand to pass up a schroeder if I can afford it though.

9. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    In the long run, you're much more likely to need a backup amp than a backup cab.

So I'd definitely buy the Schroeder first, and wing it with the amp you have. Then, when you can afford the Kustom, you can retire your current setup to backup/practice rig duty.