1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amp or Guitar

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by test dude, Dec 25, 2006.

1. test dude

test dude

Nov 13, 2006
    Long Island NY
    OK, well Ive been PLaying bass guitar for a couple of years now. I started with the Pbass and a 15 watt amp. Then I moved to A 100 watt frontman and I bought a Esp Ltd 254 Viper Bass. Now Im looking to upgrade again. My problem is Money, which is mostly everone's unless you are very succesful and rich. I play about every weekend with my friend who plays guitar on a Peavy amp which is huge and like 400 watts with a XLL head, or something like that. And our drummer has one of those exspensive electronic drumsets but he just bought a huge PA system for it i have not seen yet. So im still stuck here with my gear looking to upgrade. My friend the guitarist wants me to buy a 5 string which i would like to get, but I would also like to get a larger more wattage better sounding amp. I was moving towards the 500 watt range which i think would be all i need for a long time if i wanted to play some gigs if we were to get a singer which is still in the works. Now he's always saying get the bass but I know the Low B string On A 5 string bass sounds different on each amp and its quality. Now I was thinking to go with an Ampeg 4x10 HLF with a 450 watt head and right now my budget is around 1000 which is harsh for me.Or should i find a cheaper set up thats around 450-500 watts that will be good for some small indoor stage playing and buy a cheap 5 string. Im not sure what to do. Im leaning towards the Amp but im not sure If i should get the 5 string plus its only used in a couple of other bands songs we play.This will most likely be one of my last purchases unless we hit it big and start making money from it, so i would really like the amp because it will prodce the sound i need and would just use the two basses i have now. I would just like anyone's input on this. Thanks Alot for anyones help!!

2. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    First off, never buy anything bass related because a guitar player told you to.

Secondly, do a search for Avatar cabinents in the amp forum, and go to www.avatarspeakers.com , then look for a used amp.

3. chaotick

chaotick

Aug 15, 2006
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    I second the Avatar suggestion, I love my 210 and one day I shall love an avatar 212.

Also, spend some serious time with one before you decide to haul off and buy a 5 string.

4. Well it sounds like you'd rather get the amp....so here's my 2.378 yen on the matter:

If you have two basses, string one EADG and one BEAD with slightly heavier strings (115s fit decently well in a nut designed for a standard bass set). Then you have extended range for your songs that need it, and you can get away with using either as a backup since 3 strings are the same (and you can play anything without a low B or G string if you absolutely must).

Then go get a decent combo or a head and cab setup. I have Ashdown, and love their sound for playing in the mix in a rock/punk setting, though you can dial in a nice dub, reggae, or jazz sound very easily too on both the ABM and MAG lines. A used Peavey Firebass or Max 700 head would also serve well (or a Nitrobass or Max 450?) depending on your wattage needs. I'd avoid the Behringer ones, simply because they're based on the Ashdown MAG heads, which don't really cost all that much more for the same head. Hope that helps, and never let a guitarist decide what you need...unless they're a really good bass player who's playing guitar for fun...haha.

5. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I've been in similar situations as yours, i.e. "I need to upgrade, but what do I upgrade first?"

You need to ask yourself a few questions first:

- Will I be gigging soon, and will I have front of house support when I'm gigging?

If you're going to be gigging with PA support, chances are you'll be DIed to the board with a pre-EQ signal. In this case, the most important thing is your bass. It's really irrelevant what you're using on stage, as long as it makes enough sound for your bandmates to hear. Of course, I don't know if you should take my advice on that, because when I began to seriously upgrade, the rig was the first thing I upgraded. LOL On the other hand, if you aren't gigging with PA support, then I would upgrade your rig next. The ESP is a quality enough instrument, that you'll sound fine with a good rig behind you.

- Do you really need a five string?

Are you guys playing material that would take serious advantage of the B string? After owning several five strings, I personally will never buy another four string. My band currently covers material that is in standard, drop D, and drop C#. Plus, I like being able to fret a low E. But are you guys doing material that would require such a low range?

Lastly, I'm going to go against the grain and say that if you want the Ampeg, then get the Ampeg. Of course, Ampeg is a pretty ubiqutious company, so it wouldn't be hard to find their stuff used; that will make your money go a long way. I have personally owned an Avatar cabinet, and was not impressed with it. While it wasn't bad sounding, the actual workmanship of the cab was poor (the piece of wood going throught he middle of the port was actually crooked when I recieved it). The cab eventually started falling apart after a year. Of course, that was my experience. Others may vary. The bottom line though is that while I'm not an Ampeg fan, that cab is a pro-level cab, and I wouldn't put the Avatar in the same class. If you have the money, I believe in going "All the way" to upgrade a component. I don't believe in "mid" upgrades if you don't have to do them.