Amp or Rack?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by elwo0d blues, Jun 18, 2002.

1. I am looking at a Carvin 1000 watt head. I am starting to play large gigs. Would it be better to invest in a rack system or head? Also, i am looking at an Avatar 4x10 rated at 1200 watts rms. Would that be a good match to either of these?
  2. i personally wouldn't buy a carvin head, simply because they use SMC's (Surface Mounted Components), these aren't great quality and break down very easily. The matching with the the 410 sounds fine though

good luck
  3. I severely doubt that. Since the gradual introduction of surface mount technology, not only the prices have dropped, but also size and power consumption. Especially the latter have increased reliability. The last decade, there hasn't been a single printed circuit board without SMCs.

Would you not buy a car if it had 5 valves per cylinder? All this small stuff, can't be good ;)
  4. Surface Mount Technology is far more reliable to Pin Through Hole (PTH). This is in addition to the components being smaller and cheaper. When being tested/inspected, SMT parts have their solder joints visible readily so fewer field fails should occur!

PTH parts have a barrel that should fill with solder, but in practice this can be hard to inspect - which may cause reliability problem!
  5. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Down this road a few times!!!

I will always advise to go with a pre/pa rack set up.

The main reason is it is less expensive over time if you are ever needing to upgrade or replace something in an emergency.

If you end up eventually wanting a different power amp, you can try to sell of the Carvin or whatever or use it for the band's PA. Same thing with the preamp. You can unload the preamp pretty easily and won't take a major bath on the loss of value in resale. If one or the other breaks down, it's much nicer to have to shell out $500 or so to replace it in emergency.

If you're going Carvin, the DCM1500 can be had direct for $449.99 US. This can give you a 4ohm bridged mono output of 1500watts. Not bad for driving the 1200rms Avatar. For $100 more you can get the DCM2000 (2000watts 4ohm bridged).

A nice preamp, like the Ampeg SVP-Pro, can be had new for about $450.

With this type of set-up in a six space rack, you'll have all you'd ever need from a head. Though I doubt you could get that power and felxibility out of a new head for around $1,000. Maybe a used one, but then again, you could get used power amps and pre amps with the same type of savings as you'd get from a used head.

Good luck.

Just my opinion.
  6. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Zulufunk took the words right out of my fingertips. I'd say go with the carvin DCM1500 $469.99 (after shipping, i just ordered one so i know this :) ) I also say grab an SvP-pro...
  7. you guys rule, i will probably go with a carvin amp, and an ampeg pre... demeter sounds nice, but they are like $1,000.
    thanks for the replies, ill look around:)