Amp or speaker cab --- where should you spend the most?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GeorgiaHonk, Jun 9, 2004.

1. It seems to me that the speakers, being the last item in the amplification chain, are the most important and therefore should be where the most money is spent. Or do some of you feel that the amp is more important? When my new rig is completed, I will have about 75% of my budget invested in the speaker cabs. Does this seem about right or is it out of proportion?
  2. I believe that you need good speakers more than you need a good amp. Of course that depends on what your primary use is. I'm thinking of live sound. It seems that with a really good amp and crappy speakers it would sound like crap. With a crappy amp and good speakers it would sound ok.

That is not to say that you can get away with crappy anything.
  3. modflea

Apr 26, 2004
    Lafayette, LA
    I agree. While you shouldn't skimp anywhere in the signal chain, the greatest boutique custom made amp won't make a difference if your speaker cabinet is junk.

But 75% on the cabinets and 25% on the amp? I'm very curious as to what you've got for a rig.
  4. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

i dunno , i think you should spend more on the amplifier ... i see you use Ampeg SVP-PRO { so do i } .
    i've used some pretty junky cabinets before , but i still think a good quality amp will make just about any cabinet sound better . jmo :cool: