1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amp/PA for vocalist?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thewanderer24, Aug 16, 2002.

  1. thewanderer24


    Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    Hey all, I am a long time reader, and a rare poster... I recently hooked up with some people that seem to be turning into a somewhat serious band. This seemed like the right forum to me for this topic, but if the moderators think I am wrong, I apologize in advance.

    We all have decent gear, except for the singer, who is new to performing, and she is looking for a PA setup. So far she has been mic'ed through an old guitar amp, which is adequate for practice, but not a reasonable setup for gig situations.

    We are playing a variety of cover tunes, for the moment at least, ranging from classic rock, to mellow blues, to etta james, to funk.

    It is me on bass, a fairly loud drummer, 2 guitar players, and one female singer. We may also wind up adding occasional friends on harmonica, keys, or horns.

    Gig wise, my expectation is that we will probably within a month or two be playing a couple parties to get comfortable playing out, and shortly thereafter looking for some small bar and club type gigs. I don't expect to ever be doing anything bigger than a medium sized club with this group of folks.

    The question is, what can you recommend for a reasonable starter PA for the singer???

    We are interested in getting some professional quality stuff, though the price target to start is not much more than $1k.

    Is it worth getting a mixing board that we can all plug into?
    How much wattage do you think is necessary?
    What kinda Speaker cabinets (i.e., 10's, 15 with horns, etc.)??

    Anyway, I appreciate any and all inputs you guys can give whether general considerations, or specific brands and models.
  2. CS


    Dec 11, 1999
    The common solution for your situation is a mixer head and some speakers. You may have to think of getting a monitor as well. Most of the usual suspects (I can only think of Peavey and Yamaha) make these systems. Fender make what they call a passport which fits together like leggo for transportation.

    I dont think thats its fair to get your singer to pay for a full system for miking up drums di ing instruments etc. Many bands joint pay for a good system. This causes problems if someone leaves or the band splits.

    Another option is what I do and thats hire a PA system with or without an engineer.

    I know a guy who charges £70 a gig. He provides desk speakers mics 2 monitors his skills as a mixer (he's good) and an assistant. They arrive in a band set up do the gig and pack it down. Not bad since a local hire company wanted £50 for a PA (no blokes and no transport).

    If you gig infrequently then hire stuff. If you gig a lot go for the mixer head thing. Some venues provide a PA.

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.