1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amp picking up radio signals and static noise.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Whippet, Apr 11, 2015.

1. Whippet

Whippet

Aug 30, 2014
    I have a problem. Whether I use a headphone amp (VOX amphone) , my portable combo or the amp and cab rig, I am picking up tv or radio signals.

It comes on when I strum it and it goes away when I mute it. What the heck is this occult noise? How can I get rid of it?

I also get static noise on my Roland micro cube. When I run it though the battery it stops, but when I plug it in, as soon as I touch my strings, it starts to make crackling noise. This is really annoying. Is there a way to get rid of it?

Thanks for all information and advice in advance.

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Sounds like a shielding or wiring issue with the bass - what sort of pickup(s) are you dealing with? Something isn't grounded or shielded properly, you're somehow turning the bass into a big antenna.

StinkFoot, Whippet and bradjonesbass like this.
  3. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I've observed that radio pickup is often caused by a loose ground somewhere in the signal chain.

4. BazzTard

BazzTard Banned

check that the bridge is grounded. That often goes first.

Whippet and bradjonesbass like this.
  5. Whippet

Whippet

Aug 30, 2014
    No matter which bass I use, I get the same, Modulus Q5, ATK1200, Freedom Dulake, SR4006, etc etc. They are all active or active/passive. I noticed this problem exists no matter where I plug it in, in the apartment. I also used different cables from Hosa silver core, Planet Wave cheap cables, even cheaper no name god knows what and they all do the same thing.

6. Is there any constant? A pedal that you always have plugged in perhaps?

Whippet likes this.
  7. Bassmann1968

Bassmann1968

Feb 17, 2009
    Germany
    Using a different length or brand of cable might help as well.

StinkFoot and Whippet like this.
  8. Whippet

Whippet

Aug 30, 2014
    It's always the same guitar into amp into socket. The Tecamp has a tuner output and I sometimes use that but that doesn't seem to cause it since it happens without the turbo tuner installed. The Roland is straight to the wall, with nothing extra plugged in, only the guitar.

The thing is, when I run the Roland without plugging into the wall (battery operated) it doesn't pick up the radio signal nor does it make the static sound.

Now that people have mentioned, I guess you could say that the electrical outlet could be the source, if so, is there any cheap solution? or do I have to rewire the entire house with shielding?

9. Whippet

Whippet

Aug 30, 2014
    how do I do that?

10. Ah, there we go. It's the wiring in the house. Try a power conditioner. Furman and Monster both have floor power strip type conditioners (maybe others do too?), or you can get a rackmounted one. For just practicing, that should work. If you want to have a recording studio in your house, you'll need to hire an electrician, but the power conditioner should do the trick for just practice.

friendlybass, bholder and Whippet like this.
  11. Whippet

Whippet

Aug 30, 2014

Thanks for the answer. I thought I was going crazy all this time. I will look into the power conditioner as you stated.

Thank you all for your answers and advice. Much appreciated.

12. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Maybe your house electric just has a weak/poor ground. Sometimes all that's needed to repair this problem is tightening the clamp at your ground rod, or water pipe. You'll typically find a bare/un-insulated wire exiting your circuit breaker box that will be running to a clamp at one of these 2 types of ground connections. Try tightening those clamp bolts/screws a little bit and see if it helps.

p_SCW_029_02. storm_copper-pipe-clamp.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
    DavC, bholder and Whippet like this.
  13. Whippet

Whippet

Aug 30, 2014

Thanks for the reply. My place is an apartment but will ask the electrician on what you posted to see if anything similar and simple can be done before I buy the conditioner.

anderbass likes this.
  14. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Yup, either a bad ground somewhere, or something very noisy on the line, I have the same problem, and though I got it for my computer setup, my practice amp is going on it first. ;)

15. SteveV74

SteveV74 Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    LMAO, my amp does that sometimes, someone told me "all really good amps do that" wow, Im gonna go hide now.

friendlybass likes this.
  16. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Reminds me of when a sound guy told me: "All guitar amps trip ground fault interrupters."

Bob Lee (QSC) and bradjonesbass like this.
  17. Ajapses

Ajapses Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2013
    Cleveland, TN
    Can't figure out Madden football
    It's the metal plate in your head. Screw a wire to your skull. Run it inside your shirt and out your pant leg. Use an alligator clip on the end to secure on a known ground. No more running inside the house!!

StinkFoot and bradjonesbass like this.
  18. xk49w

xk49w

Apr 13, 2008
    And get one of these for your gig bag. $5 or so local home store.

[​IMG]

19. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    You may be able to eliminate house wiring by tryng you bass and amp at a different location and neighborhood. If it is clean somewhere else, it is related to where hou live. If the problem persists at both locations, look at you gear for a problem.

Amps and instruments are designed to minimize RFI. Some do a better job than others. But if the RFI is strong enough, it will overwhelm any protection measures.

House wiring can be a source of RFI. A bad power company in the neighborhood is another possibility.

20. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

If the bass is silent until you touch the strings then it is probably a ground issue, check the ground under the bridge. If the noise you get when you touch the strings is more like a static electricity discharge/pop then you would need shielding to remedy the issue.