Amp "popping"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jazzman23, Feb 5, 2006.

1. Jazzman23

Dec 23, 2005
    Hey guys,

I recently got a new Kustom KBA30 amp, and i like it a lot, except I have one concern.

Every now and then, the amp will just making some loud popping noise out of the blue. Like ill just be sitting with my bass, and the amp will emit this pop of feedback. Is this a real concern?

Thx for any help. Oh yea my bass is a Godin Freeway 4
  2. Theonestarchild

Theonestarchild Artfully lost

Aug 23, 2005
    North Carolina
    Does a string touch a magnet?
  3. bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    it could be your cable, have you checked that?
  4. BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    Well, knock it on top and see if that makes it do it. If not, that popping could be noise on the AC line, like from an air conditioner compressor motor turning on or off or something.
  5. WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    I've had this problem with three amps I've owned, and all three times it was a different problem with a similar symptom.

1) Hartke 3500--the popping was accompanied with a whine, and was determined to be a leaky capacitor. Sent it back under warranty, came back with the same problem, eventually I just put up with it until someone stole it.

2) Seymour Duncan Convertible-- Old filter caps made a pop periodically, so I replaced them and now it's fine.

3) Ampeg B2 combo--the back was coming off the pots, causing an intermittent pop when they vibrated loose. Cracked it open, replaced the pots, problem gone.

It could also be any of the reasons listed below, but it isn't normal and if I were you I'd get it fixed--check anything you can do yourself, and take it to an amp tech for what you can't fix on your own.
  6. jgrotto

Nov 29, 2005
    Is there a cell phone nearby? (Now that I think about it, I'm kinda surprised there haven't been more complaints about this...)