1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amp Pops When I Turn It On

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Poop-Loops, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    I bought a Crate BT15 amp a few days ago. Yes, I know it is crappy, but I really do NOT need anything better for a while to come, plus I can take it anywhere I want. My only problem is that it pops when I turn it on. For my guitar amp, that only happens when I have the volume up, not when I have it all the way down. So that's what I did, and the same thing happened. This kind of scares me. Though, the one I played at the store did the same thing...

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I had a similar thing with my SWR bass 350 head. I took my to the shop, a custom amp shop that is certified in my brand, and they put a capacitor, I think, across the power switch to absorb the power surge on shutdown/turn on. cost about $70 total.

I don't know if its worth the money in your case. the manufacturer will probably tell you its nothing to worry about and its probably not, but it is annoying, I'll agree with you there...

3. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Any idea what kind of capacitor (should say) and where? I know enough about electronics to install one, if it's that simple.

If it's nothing to worry about, then I'll be calm about it. I just read that popping like that is bad for speakers, so that makes me wonder...

4. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    This is the place that did mine, you could ask them...
    SAVAGE AUDIO in savage, MN. 952-894-1022.

5. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    While I've never liked the pops, my SWR 350x always popped when turned on and off. Sometimes VERY loud, and one time the plug fell out of the wall and... jeez, that was not a cool sound.

Why am I saying all this? Because the cab it was hooked up to (SWR Goliath III) worked great for over 3 years until I sold it, no issues whatsoever.

6. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Cool. If it's nothing bad, just annoying, I can deal with it. You get what you pay for, after all. :p I was just worried that it would explode on me or something.

7. The 'power pop' is generally not something to be worried about. Most amps do it and most manuals tell you not to worry about it, it won't hurt the speakers. Don't believe me? From the SWR website:

Q: When I turn my SWR amplifier's power switch to the "On" position, I hear a "pop" sound through my speakers.
    A: This may be the top concern among SWR owners. Unfortunately, there is no effective way to resolve this issue without taking measures that would be detrimental to both the tone quality and reliability for which SWR amplifiers are known. Although many users consider the "pop"—a transient heard at power-up—to be disconcerting, it is normal and will not damage your loudspeakers.

Elimination of the power-on transient would require additional circuitry and the inclusion of a component called a "relay" (relays are known to degrade signal quality and are prone to failure). When a relay failure occurs—which is not unusual—it can cause the amplifier to completely lose output, requiring significant downtime for repair. Hence, SWR chose not to incorporate such components into its amplifier designs. If you still wish to avoid hearing the power-on transient, the following actions may be taken:

• For amplifiers with a speaker on/off switch, set the speaker switch to the "Off" position, power on the amplifier, then set the speaker switch to the "On" position.
    • For modular amplifiers without a speaker on/off switch, connect your speaker cable to the amplifier's speaker outputs after power up if you choose. It's important, however,to make sure that you aren't playing through the unit and that no signal is present when you make the connection.

8. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    I can sleep easily tonight. Thanks. :)

9. You bet!

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I don't even see why it's problem....:meh: ?

11. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    I had read that the amp popping was bad. I guess I kinda thought it was a surge of electricity going through it when you first turn it on. This surge is BAD for electronics. Most lightbulbs go out when your first turn them on, BECAUSE of that surge. Hell, most electronics that die, die because of that initial surge. But I guess I was wrong or the amp can just handle it.

12. bassjus

bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Mass
    My SM400s does the same, I know it's already been said that it's fine, but I'm just posting for further reassurance.

13. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    Amps that don't pop still have the surge. They just utilize the protection circuitry to leave the speaker output disconnected until they stabilize. (Typically a relay on the output leads . . . same as unplugging the cab . . . )
    My GK1001 does not make a peep on powerup, but the surge is so great that the lights in the house flicker when it comes on . . . .

- Tim

14. More likely they were just too lousy to do it!

It's been a common (and reliable) part of SS hifi amps for decades.

15. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Yeah, my Mark VIII does it, also - it's a bit annoying, but I haven't had any speaker problems, yet...

- georgestrings