Amp position, stands, etc. for bar gigs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Btbp, Aug 3, 2018.

1. I'm trying to get a better sound when I sit in on open mics in bars.

I often use an Eden 300w with an Eden 1x12, but in places with hard floors it just lacks the usual warmth. Plus I can't hear myself that well, partly because there's no stage room and I'm too close to the amp, partially as these are often not the kinds of settings to play loud. Actually the louder it gets the worse it (me and everyone) sounds.

Worse, I often have to set up between acts and don't have the luxury of a sound check.

Thinking that for the most depth to get the bass frequencies to project, I usually push the cab as far back as I can, and often that means it's close to one or two walls.

Would angling the cab, or using an amp tilt stand, or some other stand, work better?

2. soulman969

soulman969 Inactive

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado
    I use an Auralex Gramma Pad with a low tilt back stand. You can just catch the edge of it in this pic of my Jazz Bass.

00U0U_1r3XYJL2p7n_1200x900.jpg

gramma-xlarge.jpg

Btbp and Wisebass like this.
  3. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    For quiet restaurant type gigs I'll put the amp on a cheapo folding piano bench with the pad stripped off. Puts the amp about as high as in the above pic but is half the price and more compact to carry. Not tilting may be a pos or neg but i like it because your head and drinks don't slide off the cab. A stand puts the cab closer to your ear and uncouples it from the floor which can reduce the bottom end which is what that Auralex is designed to do. But before you go buying a bunch of stuff try tilting the amp back on a piece of 2x4 (painted black) and see if that's all you need.

Btbp, dreamadream99 and Wisebass like this.
  4. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2008
    Raising the cab helps quite a bit, but raising by more than about 20” loses bass coupling with the floor and thus a lot of volume. I use a Rubbermaid step stool under my combo for this.
    31uEmP9DhaL._SX355_.jpg

johnpbass, Btbp, BassikBrad and 2 others like this.
  5. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi Btbp :)

Everything that gets your sound closer to your ears will help.

A beercrate can already make a big difference. :D

beercrate.jpg

may the bass be with you

Wise(b)ass

btw: I prefer beer in brown bottles :laugh:

rodl2005, Btbp, BassikBrad and 3 others like this.
  6. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    As @Wisebass suggested, there's a reason the humble beer-crate is an industry standard.:D

Btbp, JRA and Wisebass like this.
  7. Lance Bunyon

Lance Bunyon

Jul 17, 2018
    I use my drummers bass drum case. The head and cab weigh less than 70 lbs. The case appears bulletproof.
    Creates a nice throw. My drummer is deaf as can be.

Btbp likes this.
  8. voided3

voided3

Nov 11, 2008
    I was going to suggest my usual On Stage medium-sized T-stand, but for a 1x12 that might be overkill, in regards to size. For a quick load in solution, those folding plastic step stools from Wal Mart that fold flat seem to be a popular option and are available in black.

Btbp and BassikBrad like this.
  9. BLDavis

BLDavis Master of Snarks. Gold Supporting Member

May 21, 2009
    Ellenboro, NC
    For us non-drinkers, the humble milk crate works just as well. You can fold up a small rug or piece of scrap carpet in it to put on the floor under it for hard surfaces. Bare concrete floors will suck the very soul out of your tone.
    B.

10. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    The Heineken stand is the top of the line ... I prefer the lower cost Budwizer stand ;)
    I use a 1x10 35 watt Ibanez combo and if I can I tilt it up in a corner.

Btbp, Oddly and Wisebass like this.
  11. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi BLDavis :) Milk crates can get you into some trouble! :D

Don 't ask for a milk crate, when you play at a brewery or in an Outlaw biker bar! :roflmao:

Hi dBase :)

Bud light works only for class D amps and neo cabs! :laugh:

greetings

Wise

Btbp and JRA like this.
  12. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

00 images2b2.png
    excellent choice, wise! of course i'd have to get a new one every 4-5 gigs or so...:D

never heard of humble beer! :laugh: i'd suggest any mexican beer* crate, though! (IME! :roflmao: )

Btbp , IME it's more important that you hear what you're playing than to worry about what you think the audience hears...let the sound guy worry about that, or get feedback from a friend or fellow musician in the audience. good luck! :thumbsup:

* modelo or dos equis with a HPF if you're going for "punchiness"

Wisebass and Btbp like this.
  13. soulman969

soulman969 Inactive

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado
    Bare concrete or tile floors can be very reflective and can muddy lows. The Gramma Pad actually tends to keep the low end more focused and tighter, less boomy or muddy, as opposed to reducing it.

The angled stand simply puts the cab and an angle where I'm hearing it best when standing a few feet in front of it. If the stage has enough depth to where I'm 8' to 10' away I may not use it at all.

Btbp likes this.
  14. Karl Kaminski

Karl Kaminski Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2008
    NYC
    depending on how loud the group is...

on small/narrow stages try this next time, if the amp is close to the wall (1-2'), face the speaker "towards the wall". the wall will reflect the sound and appear to widen the sound stage—this works great for smaller amps like the GK MB150.

keep in mind:
    • the closer to a corner, the more muddy it'll get.
    • lifting the amp off the floor (chair, stand, etc) will lessen the coupling effect.
    • start with your amp set "flat", set volume, then adjust eq as needed.
    • it takes a few gigs to get use to reading your combo amp controls "upside down" (not an issue with the Eden head).
    GLWTG!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
    Btbp likes this.
  15. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    The Auralex pad can also help with the boominess poorly constructed stages can produce. A fairly specific tool that works really well in some situations but that most people seem to struggle along without.

I've found tilting back on the ground makes the amp noticeably easier to hear but once it's a couple of feet off the ground the effect lessens. I used a stand like you've got at a rehearsal studio for a few months and I'm willing to sacrifice the small sonic advantage it gives over my folding piano bench to be able to keep my amp and drinks from sliding off.

Btbp and soulman969 like this.
  16. soulman969

soulman969 Inactive

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado
    I used a stand I normally use for my guitar cabs at first but I soon realized those were too high and less effective than keeping the amp lower and tilted up at me so that when standing 3'-6' away from it I was hearing myself much better and losing nothing as far as the FOH was concerned.

As you say the Gramma is just one of those inexpensive "tools" that's proven invaluable when needed and IME it's been needed quite often. I used to use the anvil case I carried other gear and cables in but it didn't really solve the problem so I popped for a gramma and stopped struggling. LOL

I won't risk setting a drink on my amp but my Zoom B3 sits on top and won't slide off so a lightweight head should be safe from that as well. But to each his own. We should each do what works best for us no differently than the basses and rigs we play. My needs aren't the same as others.

Btbp, Wisebass and Jeff Bonny like this.
  17. BLDavis

BLDavis Master of Snarks. Gold Supporting Member

May 21, 2009
    Ellenboro, NC
    I always brought my own crate. Never had any trouble. :bassist:

18. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    rodl2005, kartiste and Btbp like this.
  19. mbasile

mbasile Mediocre Bassist of a Year Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2015
    Austin, Texas
    Question for those that tilt their cabs back, and don’t use combos; what do you do with your amp head to keep it from falling off the tilted cab?

Btbp likes this.
  20. Seems like a good question

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021