1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amp Power Loss when I plug in my G&L 1500

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Zertler, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Zertler

Zertler

Mar 21, 2012
    I recently purchased a used Hartke 4200 Pro (rated 400 watts @ 4 Ohms) to replace my ancient Hartke 4.5XL (rated 275 watts @ 4 Ohms). My head is a 20+ year old Hartke 3500 (rated 350 watts @ 4 Ohms).

Here's my setup (in order): Bass to Petersen Tuner Stomp Box to Boss Chorus Pedal then to passive input Hartke 3500 head with BBE Sonic Maximizer (through the effects loop) finally output to Hartke 4200 Pro.

When I Play my Rickenbacker 4004 Cheyenne it sounds like the "Voice Of God" to me. The tone I've always dreamed of.

-However-
    (here's the problem)

When I switch to my G&L 1500 (passive setting, series pickup setting) input into the passive (or active) input into the amp head, I experience sound loss. The low frequencies disappear and I'm left with thin clanky weak top end boinks. Sometimes the sound goes quiet altogether, then will weakly return only to fade again.

Am I tripping a protector? Are the pickups on the G&L just way to hot? Is the Cabinet sucking too much power from the head? Is a preamp tube on it's way out? Do I have too many "toys" inline or looped?

I don't want to part with my Beautiful Red flaked G&L 1500 with the maple fingerboard and 1 3/4" nut. It excels at the funky thumps & pops.:meh:

2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Since the system works well with the Cheyenne, the G&L is certainly suspect but other things may be brewing. First things first: rip all the peripheral components (tuner, compressor, BBE) out of your signal chain so you're left with bass > amp > enclosure. Now, A/B the two basses using the passive input.
    Better, yes or no?

Edit: almost forgot...turn off that stupid Hartke compressor! The thing will do some serious "squash" even at only moderate levels.

Riis

3. Cabs DO NOT "suck" power from the head.

As already stated, since your rig works with one bass, but not the other - it makes the G&L suspect.

4. Expanding on Zooberwerx's post, is it only on this rig? I'm presuming you've also A/B-ed both basses on another rig without problems, but please confirm.