1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amp power loss!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Plookie, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Plookie

Plookie

Jul 14, 2006
    Endorsing artist: SIRE Marcus Miller v7 Jazz bass, DR Strings HI-BEAM
    Hello guys n gals!
    A question for you all...
    Is there a way to get my amp back to it's original power outage?

I have a "Highwayman" wt-500 upgraded to 600. I bought it new in 1998 and have had only 2 major repairs on it, most recently here in Tallinn Estonia in September, but the volume problem started happening well before the last repair.
    My amp seems to have lost power. Is this with age? I don't know. But I have to put my volume's, master and gain well past the 12:00, and I have to tweak my eq, etc, when back in the day I would have had the setting flat. Any help or info would be very, very helpful

I wait for your responses...
    Thanks for your time.

Plookie
    Pavel Jazz Pro 5 deluxe endorser "Blue Butta" you gotta play one:bassist: a Pavel constructed bass
    Eden amp & cab user
    EBS pedal user
    www.lament.ee
    www.myspace.com/plookiewfireinice

2. Plookie

Plookie

Jul 14, 2006
    Thanks guys, for your reponces!

Anybody?

3. Y'know two hours on a workday morning is not a long time! Sarcasm is not going to get you much help.

Your amp is now ten years old. Your amp has probably not lost power but possibly has lost gain. This could be anything from a bad transistor or integrated circuit through a resistor changing value to a capacitor drying out and losing value. You say that the amp has needed two "major" repairs. What was wrong each time? I have never needed a major repair to any of my equipment in forty six years and there are many many more players out there just like me. Are you using the same speakers now as you were before the problem appeared? Have you changed basses during that time?

Paul

4. Plookie

Plookie

Jul 14, 2006
    BassmanPaul,

Every'ting Irie man! I wasn't trying to throw any sarcasm out pon the TB'ers.

Anyway, thanks for your answer. In the past I have had 2 major repairs. The first one I fried my amp, and the second one wasn't discovered till after 4 trips to the repair shop. That was my resistor, which was fixed and did the job. But after years I am or have lost GAIN.
    I will have my tech here in Tallinn Estonia have a look at it, because you are the second person who has mentioned Capacitor drying out or leaking.

Thanks for your response BASSMANPAUL!

Plookie
    Pavel Jazz Pro 5 deluxe endorser
    Eden Highwayman & 2x10 bass cab