Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp/preamp pricing questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rockstarbassist, Apr 1, 2005.

1. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Hey guys-

Alright, well I'm selling off my "half" of a mixer I bought with our old guitarist a year or so ago and will be gettin' some cash out of it. Plus, I can get rid of my SVT-III Pro whenever that happens to put forward my pre/power amp setup.

I have some stuff in mind, but don't know if it's out of my market or not.

Pre's:
    Aguilar DB659
    Alembic F1-X
    Demeter VTBP-201s

Power's:
    Crown K2 (800 watts/side @ 4 ohms-38lbs)
    QSC PLX 3002 (900 watts/side @ 4 ohms-21lbs)
    (any other suggestions for a power amp that pushes at least 800, preferably 900-1000W/side @ 4 ohms is greatly appreciated).

So, does anyone know approximate aftermarket (not looking to get new) pricing on some of this stuff? I'll have around $1K or so to spend.

Thanks-

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Crown.....$800.
    QSC........$700.

Many people today use eBay to determine value of gear, so you may want to check completed items. I got those prices above from PrePal.

-Mike

3. I've seen some Alembic pre's in the $400.00 range, and Demeters in the $500.00 range. These are used prices.

4. I just went through this and here's what I found about the Crowns and Alembics.

The F-1Xes are going anywhere from $385-$450. I picked mine up for $425.

K2's - If you try to get one for under $800 you'll get out-bid every time and $900 is too much. The sweet spot is somewhere between the two.

If the K2 is too rich for your blood and the weight doesn't bother you, consider the CA9. They're tanks, but they're a bottomless pit of power, they cost less on the used market and when racked seperately they're not too terribly hard to handle.

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    ive seen alembics going for 325-450
    demeters seem to go for about 500 right now
    the aguilar 659 seems to go for about 500 itself.

in any event, i wouldnt spend more than 50 bucks over the max price i listed for any of these, and even then i'd look for free shipping.

to put in perspective, i bought and sold my alembic for 325, i sold a 659 when they were the new thing for 550, (i got it in a trade, but the stated value was 650 so i probably paid 650 for it), and i got my demeter vtbp-201 (with jensen di - some of the early ones dont have it), in the sme trade for 550. when i was trying to sell it the best offer i got was 450 with free shipping (i didnt have it up for sale too long)

6. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i think you may not stay under your budget if you insist on 800-900 watts @ 4 ohms. and to tell the truth, you may not notice the difference if you getan amp that does 600 watts a side at 4 ohms. a lower model plx, a stewart 1.6 or 2.1 or a qsc rmx may run you less coin than the 3002. (and i dont like the K2 amps, but that's just me ;) )

7. BassManMike

BassManMike

Apr 2, 2005
    IvanMike,

Not trying to hijack the thread, but what is the difference between the qsc rmx and the plx line? The dealer said the PLX are lighter, more compact, and do well at transient efforts. What about the RMX?

Thanks,
    M

8. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    Man, if you are in that price range...I'd bet a BBE Bmax-T Preamp and the QSC PLX! I bought the BBE Bmax-T because I was after the "unaffected" tone of the Demeter and Alembics. Works the same way and uses the Jensen DI w/ sweet tubeness but is cheaper and comes with an optical compressor and the BBE Sonic Maximizer processing too!

9. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol sorry, if you look in the amps forum there should still be a thread with that title, i think it also says "calling bob lee" as he's the qsc guy around here. within that thread, bob posted about 20 links to older threads asking the same question.

to answer you, price, and weight. RMX are heavy and cheep, plx are light and not cheep. however, i belive some rmx amps cant do 2 ohms per side, and i think all plx can, but dont quote me.

10. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Sweet.

Thanks for the input so far, guys.

I was just looking at the Alembics and Demeters b/c I checked out a lot of (almost all of the pre's) on Basstasters, and those two by far outweighed the rest of them. Even the Aggy for my tastes. I'll have to listen to that BBE, though. I've heard nothing but good things about them (is that model the tube pre?).

I was just looking at PLX's because I had a 1602 at one time and it worked out great. Then considered Crown's b/c I've heard they are the "It" power amp, along with the Crest CA-9. What's the power per side @ 4 ohms on the Stewarts? I was just thinking about 800-900 watts b/c I have one Schroeder cab and plan on adding another one (I have a 1210 and want a 1212), and that's about what they handle. But yeah, I guess a little less would be alright... ;)

But I'm gonna go listen to that preamp now. I miss having a BBE in my rig, and if the compressor in there is any good, I won't need to buy another unit!

11. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Update:

Well, I checked out the BBE and I was really impressed (at least from the sound clips).

However, I was just curious as to the pricing on the unit? Cause if it's the same or around the Alembic, or to the Demeter, I might still go with the VTBP-201s...

12. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Well it looks like I may be able to swap out someone my SVT-III Pro for their VTBP-201s. From what I've seen, the values are pretty much around the same, if not exact.

I think I've also decided on getting an amp that will bridge around 1200-1400 watts while I just have this one cabinet.

I also think in the end I might add a 21012 Schroeder instead of a 1212, but we'll see.

My 1210 is a-rockin' right now, though. :)

13. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    You can get a 2000 watter Crown CE off Steelsound.com for $560 shipped. Big and heavy, but it will handle 4 Ohm bridged. I say get another 1012 to pair with your 1012.