Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp primer?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jr47foam, May 15, 2004.

1. jr47foam

jr47foam

Dec 15, 2003
    Hatboro, PA
    I need help on getting a new amp. Right now I own a Peavey TNT 115 which sounds good but is too heavy to lug around. I'm playing two different types of music on my bass(Fender Mex. Jazz). One is a folk group. So I thought about getting a small combo amp of 60 to 75 watts. This would also serve as my practice amp. The other group I play with is a hard rockin blues band. We'll be playing bar gigs mostly. I currently use the guitar player's bass rig which is an SWR 400s with two 4x10 cabs. It sounds good but do I really need that. The other night I heard a Mesa Walk About(?) with a Bag End speaker and that sounded great.
    I'm basically confused about two things. One is how much power do I really need without overkill. And secondly, I still don't understand the different wattages because of 2,4 or 8 ohms. Is there a primer somewhere that will help me?
    Thanks.