1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

amp problem solved (redirected actually)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by EBodious, Mar 7, 2008.

1. EBodious

EBodious

Aug 2, 2006
    Iowa
    the funny thing is actually that my eden wt-400 head was & is working properly. thanks for everyone's help!!

a funny thing happened last nite with my eden head:

i just received my 55-02 (lovely, lovely!!) and plugged it in. as per eden's advice, i turned the post gain all the way down and turned up the pre gain looking for the compressor lite to flash (thus finding the "sweet" spot). but, the lite never came on! i dis-engaged the compressor, but the set level lite never came on. i turned up the post gain a little. i was getting signal thru the amp, but i found that the pre gain (with or without the comp) increased the volume only up to the 12 o'clock position. after that, the knob turns up but the signal remains the same.

this happened with or without the active pre on the bass engaged and with or without the "active bass" pad engaged on the amp. all combinations tried.

the amp is 4 yearsd old, gigged regularly, and never opened or cleaned or tube replaced. there is currently a thread here with stories of woe about screws shredding and stripping upon turning that has me a little nervous.

i called "eden." when i first got the amp, david answered the phone. this time i got the general rep guy. he is very nice, but couldn't troubleshoot the amp and told me that there is no real talk-to-the-eden-techs opportunity anymore. :crying:

could this be as simple as a burned out led? would i get sound (pretty loud) if the tube died?

any help would be appreciated since you guys appear to now be my best bet for eden customer support! :)

p.s. other weird thing: i got the grounding buzz also. it would go away if i
    1) touched anything metal on the bass
    2) dis-engaged the active pre on the bass
    3) turned the pup pan all the way to the humbucker side (active pre engaged).

2. EBodious

EBodious

Aug 2, 2006
    Iowa
    i've got band practice tonite and i am really hoping an eden guru can offer up some sage advice.

so, i am giving myself asn afternoon bump

3. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Sounds like the bass is new to you--are you sure that's not where the problem is? Have you checked that the preamp/battery/cable are all functional?

I've had a WT-400 for 6 years now. I've never had a problem with it, but if there were gain issues my first step would be to check the tube. I've never had a problem with stripped screws the 3 or 4 times I took it apart. Make sure cover holes line up with chassis holes, and don't over-tighten.

Good luck!

4. EBodious

EBodious

Aug 2, 2006
    Iowa
    thanks, yeah, i have not ruled out the bass. except my desire for it to be perfect. it did spend three days bumping around in a delivery truck, so something could be amiss. i did not have my other bass at hand last nite. tonite i will try some a/b'ing with the basses.

thing is, i am set it, forget it guy. so, my rig could have been having this problem for a while and i would not neccessarily noticed (signal is clear and eq works). it was fiddling with the knobs and the new bass that brought it to my attention.

i am glad your wt-400 has been good to you. i love the sound (with two berggie 112's). how often, if ever, do you change the tube?

5. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Mine is 10 years old. When I got it in 2002 it still had the original tube and I haven't changed it since. Don't use it everyday, but probably do use it at least 50 times a year.

I have two Bergantino HT-112s and this setup with the WT-400 is the best rig I've ever had for bass guitar.

6. EBodious

EBodious

Aug 2, 2006
    Iowa
    i couldn't agree more. i have actually started considering moving up to the wt-550 and adding one more ht-112! maybe that's just silly, though....

7. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I would start with the bass. Especially since you mentioned the ground issue, which is almost for sure related to the bass. I've owned two 400 a 300 and a WT 800. The WT-400 is one of the most reliable amps I have ever owned. I can honestly say I have never had a problem with one.... the Wt-800 is another story

8. EBodious

EBodious

Aug 2, 2006
    Iowa
    ok, ok. i went to practice, plugged in my old, passive bass and the amp ran fine. a little noisy, but completely functioning.

the one variable was, of course, the new bass. it seems very reasonable to assume a wire came loose in shipment. ground buzz and low power from the active eq.

i guess that should have been obvious? :( :confused: :(

thanks for holding my hand and leading me thru the process guys.
    oh well, at least now i know what to fix. and what forum to put the thread in.

9. jz0h4d

jz0h4d

Apr 26, 2005
    Battery...

10. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    if you've ruled out the amp, which sounds like you did, maybe you want to change the title of the thread.

Just a friendly suggestion.

11. EBodious

EBodious

Aug 2, 2006
    Iowa
    thanks roger :cool:

12. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    glad to help. Have a nice weekend.