Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Captain Black, Jan 20, 2004.

1. i use an ampeg b2r head with an ampeg 8x10 cab. whenever i gig my amp will just short out on the last song or so. it will still stay on, but no sound will come through. i have to turn it off and back on again for it to work. but then it will short out again. it never happens in practice, only at gigs. could it be the clubs electrics or is it overheating or what? thanks.

2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I had that same problem with my head when I had to get a new power switch. Maybe it's a messed up power switch? Check the tubes if you have any?

3. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    I have a B2 also,and I've never encountered a problem such as this,in practice or in gig. I'd take it and have it looked at to be sure. -Luke

4. hi there----i used to have a b-2 head and had similiar problems, try taking a 1/4" plug and inserting it several times in the effect send and return jacks on the back of the amp, if that does not work take the cover off and check the solder joints on the input jack..also, this unit has a variable speed fan which was my problem (it would hardly ever come on, i replaced it and did not have a problem after..the circuit board for which everything on the front of the amp is connected to is mounted directly to the face of the amp and very suseptable to vibration, after you got it fixed try running the head off the cabinet or isolate it with foam or something....good luck

5. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    First, doubtful it will "short out". I know, I know, that's a generic term for "doesn't work" but if you say that to a tech, they may check the wrong things unless they "get it".

Sounds most like a cracked solder joint. Very fixable.

The jack idea is good, but that usually shows up when the unit is turned on. If its a newer unit(last 3 or 4 years) the jacks are from a different source and basically never do that.

Doubt it has anything to do with the electricity, probably it is temperature-related. Club may be warmer than your practice area.

Not likely to be "over" heating, unless it stays off for some time, or if the fan isn't working as the other post noted.

Have it looked at, should be easy to fix. If it's still under the 5 yr warranty, won't cost you anything.

6. nerdcore

nerdcore

May 12, 2002
    I have a 375W Genz Benz head that did this last night at a gig.. I'd be playing and then the sound would stop. I turned on my TU-2 pedal tuner, muting the signal, then turned it back on after a second, and the sound was back. Maybe it was my pedal? Who knows. I'm a little worried.