Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

AMP PROBLEM

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by softscrubmonkey, Nov 21, 2004.

1. softscrubmonkey

softscrubmonkey

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis
    alright on my recently aquired ampeg SVT-350H when i turn some of the tone knobs and some of the EQ to certain positions there is a HUGE buzz. and i mean LOUD and the only way to make it go away is turning the knobs or dials to certain positions. any ideas?

2. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    It is probobly feed back or you have your high end turned up to much.

Shouldnt be a major issue but mess around with the hig end and it should go away, or stand farther away from your rig when you play.

Might also wanna get different cables.

3. softscrubmonkey

softscrubmonkey

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis
    its not feed back becuase it doesnt change in the slightest when i unplug from the amp. it lessens if i turn the treble to a certain area but it comes back if i turn it to either side of the area (approx. 5-7) . before 5 it makes one kind of buzz and after it makes a different. and it makes yet another buzz if i turn the gain past 2 or the mid past 7. and then all kinds if different stuff with the EQ but i got that set pretty much how i want it and it has little buzz.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Is this the floor model amp that was on sale? :/

5. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    There may be a loose ground connection in the tone stack.

Sounds like a trip to the tech. :(

6. softscrubmonkey

softscrubmonkey

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis
    well the ampeg factory thing is right here in st. louis where i live so hopefully this wont be too big of a hassle.

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    That is probably one of the reasons it was on sale. Whenever buying floor model stuff, check it over extra closely because since it gets use, stuff might happen to it. No doubt this sounds like a relatively easy repair though, so bringing it to Ampeg would be good.

8. softscrubmonkey

softscrubmonkey

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis
    will taking it in to ampeg cost anything?

9. Ampeg have a transferable 5 year warranty, so if you have the sales receipt it should be no problem for them to take care of it for free.

Where is Ampeginsider? He knows all the stuff on Ampegs.

10. Hey Softscrubmonkey, I am only going on my experience but I took my SVT 4 Pro in becasue it was cutting out and I didnt still have my reciept and the warranty had just run out a month before..the lady at the counter asked if it still had wanrranty and told her no it had just run out and she was like oh well it still has warranty...lol.... I was like ok..anyways they went thru and checked and replaced everything it needed and cleaned it FREEEEE!!! So I beleive u wont have any problems Those guys at AMPEG were just great and Tops in my Book...Plus its not to awfully far from my house so it makes it alot better than going an takin it to a music shop and them sending it off.....

11. softscrubmonkey

softscrubmonkey

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis
    yeah so ive heard about ampeg. im taking it back to the guitar center i got it from to see what they say but most likely ill just take it to ampeg myself because i live in St. Louis anyways so its like 45 minutes away from my house.

12. softscrubmonkey

softscrubmonkey

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis
    ok well i took the head into guitar center today and the guy hooked it up, and immiediatly he knew something was wrong, so within 15 seconds he walked to the back of the store and got me a new one right out of the box and only asked for 35 bucks. so that solves that and still saved me a little over 300 dollars.