Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp Problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dirk, Feb 12, 2002.

1. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    My Carvin PB200-15 is making a horrible humming sound. The warranty is already expired, and I have no idea what is causing this. Any ideas from you tech guys?

I just investigated, and I'm not sure, but I think one of the power amps is fried, but I don't know how this happened because I never push it. It hums when it is bridged and when it is on the right side, but not on the left side. I'm kinda pissed because I left my amp at our drummer's house while I was on a trip to New York City and when I went to pick it up, all my cables were missing and the amp was just sitting there. It was suspicious because he was kicked out of the band while I was away. So now my 150 what amp has been reduced to 60 watts, which is just perfect.

Dirk

2. I don't know if I can figure it out, but I know those who might will need more info.

Does it hum when nothing is plugged into it?

Is the volume of the hum affected by the volume control?

Does it hum only when plugged into certain outlets?

Is it intermmitent or constant?

Can you still hear your instrument, or is hum the only sound the amp makes?

3. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    it hums constantly but I can hear my bass when it's plugged in. It hums when the volume is completely down, but the hum stops when I only use one of the power amps in the head, so I think it's not a circuit problem in my home. I'm going to buy a power amp for my Ampeg 8x10 soon so I just need it to last for a about a month or two.

Dirk

4. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Any ideas what may have caused this problem? Also, if I took the head out, could I enclose the top portion and make it just a 15 speaker cab?

5. Is it isolated to 1 of the power amps? If you use the other single power amp, is it OK? If both of the power amps work OK individually, it seems to be a problem in the bridging of the amps.

Yes, you can use the 15" as a speaker cab.
    No need to enclose it unless you just want to.