1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

AMP PROBLEMS: ACTIVE BASS INTO LOW WATT OLD SCHOOL GUITAR AMP

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by garmenteros, Sep 19, 2008.

1. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    So I got a great deal on a good mint amp for my gui****. ROLAND BOLT 60. all tube power section, solid pre. reverb. 60watts 8ohms only. 2 6l6s and one 12a7. anyways the thing worked fine with guitars... plugged in my stingray and the input jacks seemed to go on a off. got them fixed. worked fine with guitars for couple of weeks. Decided again to try use the clean channel at home with my 8ohms boogie cab very low to use the reverb a bit and again the same problem.

However I connect the bass thru the send thru the effects loop and the thing sounds awesome. I can even use the eq because the effects loop can be used pre eq...

But the input jacks,,, the regular ones are dead, and this is for my gui**** and for recording, ew want the distortion channel and the whole works...

SO BASICALLY IN A NUTSHELL.. im asking can a high output bassguitar damage an amp not suited for it...?

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Too hot a signal would cause distortion in the pre, but it would be highly unusual for any damage to occur. Even the hottest bass has 1/10 the voltage output required to toast components.

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It sounds like the input jacks were about to fail but still working when you tried it out with guitars, and the little bit of plugging/unplugging you did after that was enough to finally break the weak connection. Get the jacks re-soldered and tested, and you should be fine.